Lose of pigment

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Lose of pigment

Recently this summer I noticed that in the mid-region of my back (between my shoulder blades)  I have white-blotchy spots that have no pigment to them.  I'm a fair skinned 24 yr old male who can tan easily but also can burn if I don't watch myself.  Its not just a couple little spots, there have to be at least 15-20 spots.  Ive noticed ppl have these kind of spots from over exposure to the sun but with these ppl the pigment returns to normal...mine only stays the same white blotchy spots.  I love going to the beach and its became embarrasing to have to explain myself every time I have my shirt off.  I have just figured that my skin lost all pigment and there was nothing I could do about it.  I had a friend who told me that she heard this...that every single person has some form of hair dander, or dandruff.  She said that sometimes these dander particles fall from your head and when reaches contact with your skin, its reaction to your skin is to take away its pigment.  She said to rub anti-dandruff shampoo on the affected area and in a couple weeks my problem would be resolved.  This seems very far fetched.  Is there any credibility to this story?   Is there anything I can do at all to get rid of this bothersome white spots?
I have the same problem.  Mine started from my back and spread from there over my shoulder to my chest b/w my boobs.  I've been using Lortrium fungal creme stuff for about a week but, I started to break out so I stopped using it.  On one of the other pages I was looking @ they were calling it Tinea Versicolor and to try the dandruff shampoos.  I tried them before but, I didn't use it long enough to see a differance.  My husband had the same thing and he used head and shoulders and it worked so I'm thinking about using the same thing again just longer then 2 days ...Good Luck hopefully we'll both lose it!!!!