Dermatology Expert Forum
Losing my hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Losing my hair

Hey Im 19 years old, i dont have any family member that is bald that i know. I started losing hair back when i was 17. I dont know why the hair i lose has white pluck things in the end(is it the root), is it dandruff? I dont think i have dandruff i would know it. I get so aggrevated that nobody, at my age that i know are having these problems my hair got really thin and my hair line went way back compared to what used to be. My dads hairline is like mine now, but its nowhere near to bald, he has very thick hair. I went to dermathologist and he gave me rogaine, which i used for 7 months and didnt do nothing to me. I think about using propecia, I dont have insurance and the time i went to see my dermathologist he didnt seem to help at all, he just looked at me and gave me rogaine, didnt ask any questions or nothing which made me kinda mad. I started taking some vitamins for my hair but its not doing nothing. My mom thinks that the vitamins and the weight gainer i used to take was the reason but i dont think so because i was losing hair before. Im really stressed out about this whole thing. My hair got really wavy in the front and it used to be almost straight. Like i said I dont think i have male pattern balding because i dont know nobody in either side of the family that has it, my brother has really thick hair and never sheds. Please help Im going crazy with this whole thing.
Tags: Dermatology, friends
The little white thing you see at the end of the hair is probably the dead root of a hair that's finished its 3 year life and is supposed to fall out.  Every day we lose 25-50 hairs like this.  This is normal.  So is receding of the hairline in an "M" shape, as opposed to the straight hairline of young boys.

In other words, I'm not sure you have anything wrong with you at all.

Rogaine doesn't do much for the frontal hair, and Propecia is almost certainly not worth taking at this point for you, if ever.

What you need is a dermatologist who will give you the time of day.  It's worth a visit to find out.  Ask around--some of your friends must have seen a skin doctor who listens and talks.  Or check out the American Academy of Dermatology website--www.aad.org--for Board-Certified skin doctors in your area.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Hey iam a 15 year old girl and i have thin fine hair. My hair is very sensitive because every time i brush it, run my hands through it or even when i have a shower alot of hair falls out. Iam so worried that i might become bold and it really depresses me. My brother has thick hair i think cause my dad has thick hair to and my mum has thin hair like me but not much of her hair falls out like mine. All my friends have thick hair too. I used to take one hair tablet every day but now i stopped because it's not helping me? is there any kind of tablet or food that could help me with my problem? and should i see a doctor about it?
Check the ingredients on your shampoo and conditioner bottles - chances are, they contain SLS (sodium laureth sulfate)(very corrosive) found in 90% of all shampoos, soaps etc.,  

STOP using products containing SLS and other carcinogens - there are safe products out there -

As long as you keep using products containing these poisons, your hair follicles will continue to corrode and new growth stunted.  

Robustus!

Both the shampoos I use contain Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, which I assume would also be bad.  Do you know of some national brands that don't contain these ingredients?  Are there studies that show these affect hair growth?  Thanks.
A related discussion, Loosing my hair was started.
A related discussion, hair losing and skin problem was started.
A related discussion, my fiance has been loosing hair was started.