Lots of spots on back of head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Lots of spots on back of head

I am 28 and have been shaving my head now for a couple of months.  I dont use a razor, I use electric clippers on a "0" (straight blade) setting and I shave approximately every 3-4 days.  I would occasionally get a spot or two on my scalp, which I figured was quite normal but the last 2 times I have shaved it has revealed lots of spots.  These spots are only located at the back and side of my head.  The most recent time has been the worst.  There are some red ones, which have obviously been irritated by the shaving because they are qite tender, and there are some which you cannot see unless the light shines a certain way, but you can feel them.  None of the spots have a head on them and no puss comes out of them.  I can only compare them to the kind of spots I sometimes get on my neck if I shave agains the grain.  I am quite self consious about these spots because I think they look really unsightly....the only thing I have seen on the internet which sounds like it could be what I have is Folliculitis...only I dont have any puss filled sores.
I have been getting spots at the back of my head and suspect they are caused by my not cleaning my teeth and mouth before going to bed. Any saliver coming out of my mouth getting on my pillow and then during sleep the back of my head is exposed to germs. and almost forced into the hair follicles by the weight of my head. An alternative suggestion to allergic reaction to pillow cases being washed in biological detergent ( which also causes me to come out in spots)
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers