Lump behind my ear..

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Lump behind my ear..

I have a lump on my next just beneath and behind my ear..
Ive been to the doctors and they said it was a boil in my ear canal, i cant see it inside my ear as its too deep.
But looking at my neck you can see and feel it. Its very hard, painful and hot.
Ive had it for about 12 days.

The Doctor gave me antibiotics for a week, Doxycycline.
Im coming to the end of them but the boil seems to be getting bigger and alot more painful.
I cant sleep, i cant even eat properly because it hurts so much.
I cant hear anything in that ear either.

I work in a Pharmacy so I know painkillers and have been taking the strongest ones i can get -
But its just getting worse.
Has anyone got any ideas on what to do to help?
Im going mad!?
Thankyou, xx

Any pimple like swelling near the ear could occur due to few basic possibilities namely a Pimple itself, infected ingrown hair follicle or sebaceous cyst, ear infection and parotid gland infection (parotitis). Pimple or sebaceous cyst may occur due to excess oil clogging in the skin pore. Ear infections like middle or external ear infections can also cause such pimple which may change size after bursting but tend to remain persistent until underlying ear infection is diagnosed by an ENT and treated accordingly with antibiotics and sometimes surgical excision is done.

You should keep the skin around clean with antiseptic solution and may wait for about a week to notice healing(if it is just a pimple) but if it persists then consult an ENT/primary physician

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.