Lump on back of neck for 5 years

I had a small hard lump located in the middle of the back of my neck for about 5 years, it is slightly above the hairline. It has never been sore to touch or altered in colour to my normal pale skin. I am in generally good health and not been too concerned. However, it was my wife that noticed that the lump had suddenly doubled in size and was leaking a foul smelling substance. Although it was still not painful to touch it had become soft and when squeezed emitted a large eruption of puss. There was no discharge of blood though. The lump has since decreased tremendiously in size (almost gone), but  my wife says it is still smelly.

Please kindly advise if this is possibly symptomatic of any related serious illness and is it advisable for me to try and squeeze it even more. I am a 48 year old male.

You have noted this lump to be present for years already.This does not sound like an acute infection. In the presence of redness, pain and tenderness, a bacterial infection may be noted. This may be an underlying scalp infection or an infected lymph node. I suggest that you have this assessed by a dermatologist. Oral antibiotic medications may be necessary.

The pus will readily drain. Chronic infections may eventually drain. Unlike more acute infections the area may not be painful. A culture of the discharge may be necessary to guide treatment. The cause of the infection has to be ascertained.

Do not press or squeeze the area as this may be irritated .A consult is necessary as you will be needing medications for this.