Lump on the mole after razor cut ! Melanoma??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi, my husband has a raised pink mole since birth (above his lip) and he cut it 2 weeks go while he was shaving. Now he has a little hard bump on the mole. Bump is little darker in color them mole itself.

Can this be a melanoma or any other type of skin cancer? :(

Thank you
What your husband is having is a recurrent nevus. Recurrent nevus is a melantic skin lesion which clinically resembles a superficial spreading melanoma at the site of a recent shave removal of a nevus. What happens is that melanocytes left behind in the wound regrow in an abnormal pattern. This is accompanied by scarring, inflammation, and blood vessel changes and this both the clinical and histologic impression of a melanoma. There is nothing to worry.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.