DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Lump under scalp
by cutie506, Oct 06, 2008
I have a lump under my scalp on the top of my head.  I asked 2 different doctors about it and they both told me that it's just a fat deposit.  This is my regular family doctor's office though.  It's a medical group.  Anyway I wanted to know if I should get a second opinion on this.  The bump doesn't hurt or anything it's just kind of annoying and bothersome because I know that it's there.  Please answer my question.  It would be greatly appreciated because I'm in desperate need of an answer.  Thank you.  Anonymous.  
Member Comments (2)
by Dr_Smita_S, Oct 06, 2008

There can be several causes for the lump under scalp, such as epidermal inclusion cyst, lipoma, abscess, boil, sebaceous cyst or fibroma. It would be difficult to diagnose without an examination. You should consult a surgeon for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

An epidermal inclusion cyst is a sac like structure with skin debris inside.  

Lipomas are the most common painless and asymptomatic soft tissue tumors and are slow-growing, benign in nature. They contain fat which forms lobulated soft masses enclosed by a thin fibrous capsule. Lipomas occur in 1% of the population. They presumably arise from fat that may occur in the back, hips, or neck in adults. They consist of fat globules due to which they are very soft in consistency.

These types of swellings are usually subcutaneous in location and not malignant.

Sometimes swelling with dry flaky patches may occur on the scalp due to skin conditions like seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff), infection (fungal, tinea) eczema or psoriasis. These however, have associated symptoms like itching and redness.

You should consult your doctor for a proper evaluation. The diagnosis is through physical findings. Sometimes a needle biopsy or a CT scan may be done to confirm the diagnosis or rule out any malignant changes.

The therapy depends on the location and diagnosis of the swelling. Generally the cysts are removed for cosmetic reasons. The treatment of cysts involves complete surgical excision with the capsule to prevent local recurrence.

Hope it helps.

by smonte2, Mar 24, 2009
Today i noticed a lump on the upper left side of my two year old son's head. Its right above his ear and a liitle higher up. Its not red and doesnt seem to hurt him when i touch it. He fell backwards the other day but he bumped the the back of his head towards the right side, he did cry for a little bit but he was fine after that. Should i call my pediatrician and ask them what it might be?
Thank you
mommyof2