Dermatology Expert Forum
Lymph nodes and face skin issue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Lymph nodes and face skin issue

Dear doctor,

One year ago I had one lymph node swollen in my nick left side close to my ear, at the same time I had a big red ball in my head the doctor said it's called felicitous if my spelling is correct, I took a medication then I felt every thing was perfect the big ball on the back side under the hair gone and the lymph node went normal. The lymph node was not painful. Four month later I noticed that when I shave my bear my face is hurting me and when the hair grown up it become so etichy and the area is so red, and when the hair grow up more the area become so etichy. So I have to shave ASAP also a lot of small white particles is fallen from my bear exactly as the head dandruff. In addition my exact lymph node swollen again not painful, not solid and very small. My questions are:

1- does my etching and red ( very red) and beard can cause my lymph node to be swollen?
2- I went to doctor and he said this is kind of fungus, I took the medication for 7 days but not solved!!
3- is their Any connection between the lymph node and face etching and red area ( beard ) link?
4- is this kind of skin inflammation?

Can you please tell me all face skin problem that impact or make lymph nodes swollen??
FYI , I have test for all STD and all (-)

Thank you

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the facial skin rash and the swollen lymph nodes. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by infection which may be bacterial, viral or fungal.  Hence to answer your first question, since you are having the red facial rash and swollen lymph node, it is most likely due to be an infection which is causing both these symptoms.
Now to answer your second question, yes it can be due to a fungal infection which your doctor is suspecting. It is most likely due to the following two causes. These include:

1) Seborrheic dermatitis which is a common skin condition that causes flaky,dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. It is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur and is an inflammatory condition to proliferation of the yeast. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates and is aggravated by sweating and humidity. Treatment usually involves use of antifungal, anti inflammatory and sebo suppressive or Keratolytic ingredients.

2) Second possibility is of tinea barbae which is again a fungal infection of the beard area. It causes an inflammation of the skin and it becomes inflamed with red lumpy areas, pustules and crusting around the hairs.

Diagnostic tests include physical examination, direct microscopy, culture, and a Wood lamp examination. For seborrheic dermatitis, diagnosis can be confirmed by clinical examination and biopsy of the skin samples. Hence you should get it clinically examined from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. Once diagnosis is confirmed treatment can be started. Basically it is topical antifungals for both, but for inflammation of seborrheic dermatitis, steroids may also be needed. They help symptoms by reducing inflammation, itching and discomfort.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

i have this problem for 3 years ,an irritation on the vulva,at the entrance of vagina also and soemtimes around my anus,they told me i have bv and i got treated but after 1 month the irritation came back(i must say at the beginning i also had discharge)and sincer then never went ,beofre my period i feel a burning sensation  then the skin is so irritated that cause me open wound and in the last 3 months i had 2 times a blister who broke and in 4 days heal....i did all the test for infection etc all negative also a biopsy and was negative...i will go soon to the dermatologist but i want t know if someone has an idea what could be ?i also mention that for 3 years i did not had any kind of intercourse.