Minoxidil : Excretion and Metabolism

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Minoxidil : Excretion and Metabolism

Hi there. I have been reading quite a lot of posts on this site but there was a particular one which really sparked my interest. Especially since it is heavily connected with the Minoxidil,which I am especially curious about,as a 1st-year medical student myself. I heard its usage is deemed to be controversial in some cases

The title of the thread is "Blood donation - Are the medications I use safe?" by capati92, under the Blood Disorders Community and the original poster mentioned something about using 5% Minoxidil topical solution though she is a female (based on my prior medical knowledge, only 2% is recommended for women as with a higher dose,it is highly likely that they will gain unwanted facial hair and what not). And true enough,this 20 year-old girl, not much older than myself at 19-going-on-20, has that problem.

The main question I have regarding Minoxidil is, can it be absorbed systematically in topical solution form so much so that it could trigger such an effect? If so,after how long is Minoxidil excreted from the body? What is its half-life and what is its duration for metabolism?
Diffuse hypertrichosis during treatment with 5% topical minoxidil
A.M. PELUSO, C. MISCIALI, C. VINCENZI, A. TOSTI
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008

DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2133.1997.d01-1156.x

Issue
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 136, Issue 1, pages 118–120, January 1997.

As to whether lesser strength could cause diffuse hypertrichosis is questionable.

The rarity of such an occurrence is to be noted too.One cannot rule out, however, the possibility that some individuals with hair follicles
that are very sensitive to minoxidil may be influenced by the very low systemic levels of the drug.
Although minoxidil is poorly absorbed through the skin, systemic doses in the range of 2.4 to 5.4 mg/day can be anticipated if application is made to entire scalp.
[PDF] Percutaneous absorption of minoxidil in man
TJ Franz - Archives of dermatology, 1985 - Am Med Assoc.

My good wishes.

Try  pfizer  home page. I see that they have much to offer about this subject.

Hope you find your answers there.
Thank you for the tip. :) Unfortunately though,I could hardly find information about Minoxidil in particular from the Pfizer website; just research projects which do not seem to show any mention of its excretion. Nevertheless,it is indeed a good website to find about a large variety of its drugs. Again,thank you very much, I truly appreciate it.

Issue
British Journal of Dermatology

My good wishes.
Hi there. Thank you so much for the enlightening evidences. This has helped me so much and it really means a lot to me. :) Again,I'm truly grateful for all the trouble and effort you have put in to find this for me.
Most welcome. I found your question stimulating.. Keep it up, this keen interest and good wishes for your studies.