Mole Concern

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole Concern

I have a mole, round, even color, but with a small black dot in the middle. Like someone took a sharpie and put a dot there. I had it looked at in July, the dermatologist said it looked completely normal. I just went and got a 2nd opinion on it today while I was at another dermatologist's office for another reason. The nurse practitioner said it was worth getting a biopsy. I asked her if she was concerned and she said, yes because the dot is a different color and it's black. The mole has not changed since I first got it looked at. I would just like another "opinion" if you think the mole should be a cause for concern. Thanks!!
  • mole with black dot (1 replies):
    found a mole on my 16year old daughter's neck with a bla...[more]
  • mole on face (1 replies):
    I have a mole on my face that is flaky. It's not like a ...[more]
  • Mole Concerns (1 replies):
    Hello Dr., I have become really concerned about a few...[more]
  • Mole (2 replies):
    I have this mole since I was a kid. This mole started to...[more]
  • moles (1 replies):
    i have a mole and am concerend about it
Moles should always be "suspect" if they change.  

It does sound more like a "pigmented nevus", but only a biopsy will determine if the cells have become active.  

If it's cause for concern a biopsy will set your mind at ease.
From the symptoms it can be a compound mole or a atypical mole. Both are benign conditions. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Otherwise it should be left as such.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.