Mole Concerns
Hello Dr.,

I have become really concerned about a few moles that I have.  One is on the sole of my foot.  It appeared a few months ago.  I don't think it has changed since it appeared, but the border isn't very well defined.  Also there is a dark mole on my breast that has small dark spots around it.  This mole is symmetrical and small.  In my chest area, other very small, flat moles have appeared.  They just look like spots.  I recently started birth control pills, and heard that this can cause other moles to appear.

I went to a NP the other day, and she referred me to a dermatologist.  My appointment is not until late October.  The Nurse Practitioner said she was pretty sure the moles were ok, but wanted me to go to the dermatologist to be sure.  I am been really worried about these moles ever since then.  How dangerous do these moles sound?  ( I realize there is no way to tell for sure from the internet.)  How worried should I be?  And also, if these moles are cancerous, what are the chances that they can't be treated by simply removing the moles?  

I have never had a sunburn in my  life.  My family does not have a history of skin cancer (to my knowledge).  And also, I have dark hair and a average/dark complexion.
From your symptoms it sounds like simple moles and not any melanoma or skin malignancy. Melanoma has an irregular border, is asymmetrical, uneven color and increasing in size. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Otherwise it should be left as such.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.