Mole Removal On Upper Lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole Removal On Upper Lip

7166529?1313811280
I am considering removing two moles on my upper lip as they can be irritating when I shave. I have been told by a friend that shaving would be the best course of action because they are raised and excision could distort my lip.

I wanted to know if shaving would be the best course of action and what are my options for removing the mole, but keeping the shape of my lip? I know their will be scaring and possible pigment left over, but are their any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

This mole is quite big and not small in size.  Shaving is not the right procedure. There are many procedures of mole removal like by shave or deep elliptical excision, excision with cauterization (a tool is used to burn away the mole) and laser removal. Your dermatologist may choose excision with or without stitches, depending on the depth of the mole and the type of cosmetic outcome desired.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I went to a plastic surgeon today and he told me he could remove it with a CO2 laser. He would not do a surgical excision because he believed it could cause the lip to pull up and distort. He would not shave it as the laser would allow for the minimum amount of penetration. The surgeon gave me a quote for $500 with a 20 min surgical time.

He mentioned in his experience scarring is minimal and usually occurs as a white spot. Some pigment could remain and regrowth could happen, but both have been rare occurrences for him. He did warn their would be an indentation where the mole would be, but over time it should raise flat, but did not give a time frame.

I plan on meeting with a dermatologist as well to get a second opinion and hoping to meet with another surgeon in the area who has experience with CO2 lasers. The surgeon I did meet has over 20 years experience with the device, but I believe in getting many opinions.