Mole Removal Recovery Question

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole Removal Recovery Question

Four weeks ago, I had a large mole (spitz nevus) removed from my lower leg using excision. The incision is about an inch and a half long and it took four stitches to close. Two weeks ago, when I went to have my stitches removed, it was still rather tender to the touch and was starting to look red and inflamed. Thinking it was the start of an infection, my doctor prescribed antibiotics for ten days, which I finished late last week.

The tenderness is, for the most part, completely gone. Now, it is only tender in two spots: there is a small bump under the skin at each end of the incision where the skin is pulled together. It is only slightly tender to the touch (pushing). The skin is not quite red, but it is still discolored (sort of like a bruise that hasn't changed color), and the discoloration still covers the same area of skin (it has not receded). It still feels oh-so-slightly warm to the touch. Then again, I always have cold hands (haha).

I have no experience with any kind of minor skin surgery whatsoever, so I'm wondering what's "normal" during the healing process and what's not. I have no other signs of a recurring infection - no fever, the incision itself is healing nicely, never any sign of pus, etc. so I wonder if I'm just being paranoid because the skin around the incision still looks bruised and funny or if I should go ahead and call my doctor because this isn't a regular reaction.

Any anecdotes? Who else has had a mole removed and what was your experience with the healing process? I appreciate the advice and obviously, will call my doctor if it does not show improvement or if something gets worse.
Thanks!!
From your symptoms, it does not look like infected mole. Had there been any warmth, redness, tenderness on touching or any discharge, then the possibility of infection could have been thought of. If the bruising increases then the possibility of a recurrent nevus is to be thought of. Recurrent nevus is a melantic skin lesion which clinically resembles a superficial spreading melanoma at the site of a recent shave removal of a nevus.

What happens is that melanocytes left behind in the wound regrow in an abnormal pattern. This is accompanied by scarring, inflammation, and blood vessel changes and this both the clinical and histologic impression of a melanoma.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.