Dermatology Community
Mole Removal Recovery Question
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mole Removal Recovery Question

Four weeks ago, I had a large mole (spitz nevus) removed from my lower leg using excision. The incision is about an inch and a half long and it took four stitches to close. Two weeks ago, when I went to have my stitches removed, it was still rather tender to the touch and was starting to look red and inflamed. Thinking it was the start of an infection, my doctor prescribed antibiotics for ten days, which I finished late last week.

The tenderness is, for the most part, completely gone. Now, it is only tender in two spots: there is a small bump under the skin at each end of the incision where the skin is pulled together. It is only slightly tender to the touch (pushing). The skin is not quite red, but it is still discolored (sort of like a bruise that hasn't changed color), and the discoloration still covers the same area of skin (it has not receded). It still feels oh-so-slightly warm to the touch. Then again, I always have cold hands (haha).

I have no experience with any kind of minor skin surgery whatsoever, so I'm wondering what's "normal" during the healing process and what's not. I have no other signs of a recurring infection - no fever, the incision itself is healing nicely, never any sign of pus, etc. so I wonder if I'm just being paranoid because the skin around the incision still looks bruised and funny or if I should go ahead and call my doctor because this isn't a regular reaction.

Any anecdotes? Who else has had a mole removed and what was your experience with the healing process? I appreciate the advice and obviously, will call my doctor if it does not show improvement or if something gets worse.
Thanks!!