Dermatology Expert Forum
Mole and freckle
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mole and freckle

Hi Doc,

What is the difference between a mole and freckle? Can a freckle turn into a mole? Or will a mole just develop on its own. Another thing I wanted to know is how moles develop. I read that the sun plays a role on it. So If I'm in the sun all day is there a chance will mole will develop soon right after (few days to month).

Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Moles have mole cells (melanocytes) in them.  Freckles just have extra pigment.  Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which without doing a biopsy, but if the spot doesn't look suspicious, it doesn't matter--it can be left alone.  Sun can increase the number of moles people have, but they may occur where there was no sun to speak of.  Freckles can appear soon after sun exposure, not moles.  If there's a specific spot you're concerned about, you'll need to see a doctor in person so you'll know for sure and not have to worry.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks Dr.

Also can a freckle turn into a mole?
Blank
Dr,

Did you see my last email? I was wondering can a freckle turn into a mole? Or a mole will develop from a new spots.

thanks

Rich
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers