Dermatology Expert Forum
Mole growing back?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Mole growing back?
Hi I'm 20 years old, male..Im writing to ask about a mole on the tip of my nose that I'm worried might be growing back..Here's the history..

The mole was not congenital; it was a light tan color (close to flesh color); and very raised and round. I first got the mole removed about 12 years ago by shave excision and it grew back in a year. I then went in again to get it removed about 10-11 years ago. Im pretty sure the surgeon used the same technique of shaving and then cauterizing. After the 2nd removal, the mole did not grow back.. BUT

About 2 years ago I noticed that there was a tiny colorless bump in the same spot the mole used to be that I don't think was there before. The bump wasn't completely round like the mole was..it was just this tiny line that was very slightly raised (you have to look really hard to notice but it's there). The raised thing..whatever it is.. has gone unchanged since I first noticed it 2 years ago. Im wondering..since I'm a worrier..what do you think of this? What are the chances of the thing completely growing back after 11 years?
Doesn't sound like a problem.  Moles often grow back after being shaved, sometimes with pigment and sometimes not.  Facial moles are often flesh-colored.  Shaving is a better idea on the nose than cutting, since cutting would leave an unacceptable scar in that area for a benign lesion.  Let a skin doctor check it out to be sure, and to cauterize or shave it again if that seems appropriate and you want it done.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I forgot to mention...You can only see the slightly raised area in certain lighting. Much of the time you can't even see it's there since it's colorless.
Oops sorry just saw an old picture..the mole was more light brownish..not as close to flesh colored as I had thought..
can a mole just partially grow back sometimes..because that seems to be what has happened?
A related discussion, Worrisome Mole was started.