Mole grown back after removal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole grown back after removal

I recently had a mole removed my punch method.  The doctor said the mole was probably not cancerous but that he was going to remove it and get it sent away for testing anyway.  Ive not yet had the results but i little bit of the mole seems to have grown back.  I am a little confused.  The mole was very small and dark, ive had it since birth but recently i thought it had risen a little bit.  The bit of mole that has grown back is very small but also very dark, im not 100% sure if the part of mole was even removed in the first place as i only noticed it was there after the scab had cleared up.  The area is sore and itchy but i think that might be the scar that is hurting as the mole was not sore or itchy before it was removed.  Hope this makes sense to anyone who is reading and help would be greatly appreciated.

It is more likely that the mole was not completely removed in the first place. There is an additional possibility of it being a part of the scab which is formed after the mole was removed.

I would recommend you going back to the doctor with the results of the previous biopsy. If the first one comes out negative for cancer, then this lesions may be taken as non-cancerous too and a decision to removal may be deferred. However, if the first one is positive for cancer then the remaining lesion may need additional removal.

Hope this helped, Let me know if you may need any more information.