Dermatology Expert Forum
Mole irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Mole irritation

I have had a mole on the back of my arm for as long as I can remember and i have kratosis pilaris on my arms so I scratch at the back of my arms. About 2.5 years ago I picked at the mole, it had a keratosis pilaris bump in the middle so there is a little pinkish bit. It had scabbed over and then when the scab came off the skin was normal skin color. I had a doctor look at it and she said the skin looked fine. After about 6 months (i think) the mole grew back, mostly looking normal with the keratosis pilaris bump in the middle. I saw a doctor who said it was fine, and for a second opinion I saw another doctor who also said it was fine. I check it regularly and there has not been any change that I have noticed for over 2 years now. 2 days ago I had picked my arm when I was half asleep and it was a little raised, but it looked the same as usual. I looked at it Sunday afternoon and it looked normal. This evening (Monday) I looked at it and there was a black bit along the edge, very narrow, almost like the curve of a finger nail, but smaller. I scratched it a little and it came off sort of like a scab. Now it looks how it does if I pick the bump that is always there, the bit that was scratched off is the bump and is pink now, no bleeding, but it stings when i put antiseptic on it. I am a little panicked that it is some sort of advanced cancer. I travel to London tomorrow and I am back next week and can see a doctor. The mole is probably around 2.5mm, medium brown. I will see a doctor, but I am wondering if I should get an emergency appointment. Also when I return I am going to request that I have it removed because I am constantly worried about it. The black bit really panicked me. Any opinion or advise you have would be much appreciated. I am pale, very few sunburns, maybe 1 or 2 bad ones, but always wear sunscreen. I grew up in southern Oregon. My grandfather has developed skin cancer on his head at 82 and my grandmother has had melanoma removed at 66. I am 29.
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern but the black scab seems to be due to scabbing after picking up the mole. Melanomas are usually >6 mm in size, with irregular borders , asymmetrical, dark and uneven color and increasing in size. Keep an eye on the mark. If you notice changes in the mark's color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Then it needs to be biopsied. Otherwise there is no reason to worry.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.