Dermatology Expert Forum
Mole mildly dysplatic BUT wants to excise

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My dermatologist office just called to say the teeny, tiny mole they removed came back mildly dysplatic but they want to do a larger incision just to be safe because it was in an area of damaged skin.  

What does that mean?  

Doctor will do 'the larger incision' next week but is in surgery today, doesn't work again until Tuesday and I'm a horrible worrier.

Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern but it is a normal protocol to excise the mole properly with surrounding margins if it is mildly atypical. This also ensures

The rules of melanoma or the A, B, C, D’s:
• A: Mole is asymmetrical
• B: The borders are irregular
• C: The color is irregular.
• D: The diameter is usually greater than six millimeters or a mole that is evolving or changing.
You should not worry if the mole is mildly atypical and get the margins excised.
Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Derm had taken only the tiny mole and pathologist felt sure there were clear margins but since that area was a sun damaged area, they said let's just make sure we got it all.