Mole on Foot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole on Foot

I had a horizontal mole on the bottom of my right foot, just below the middle toe. It was shaved off. I have recieved results that the mole is abnormal. My dr. did not describe what abnomal means. I am thinking the worst. Any thoughts? Plus I have to go have it cut out at a deeper level. Anyone know of a topical numbing cream I can use. The derm. plans to do this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is not always easy to tell whether a mole is an atypical naevus or a melanoma, so these are removed by excision biopsy. Through the biopsy, a pathologist will usually make the correct diagnosis.Melanomas can be anywhere on the body and could be one differential. In men, they are most often on the chest, stomach or back while in women, they are most often on the lower legs. However, it would be best to discuss the biopsy result with your dermatologist because it is only through this that your diagnosis could be made. If he or she wants to cut at a deeper level, he/she will also prescribe you with proper medications that would suit you.

Take care and keep us posted.

I just noticed today that I have two new moles on the bottom of one of my toes. They are right next to each other. One is dark brown in color and looks like a perfect little circle. The other is a little larger, lighter in color and does not seem to be as perfectly round as the other. Any advice would be appreciated. Worried in Missouri
Avatar_dr_f_tn

A plantar mole is usually harmless and may be left on its own. However, it should be differentiated to a plantar wart  which is a wart caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) occurring on the sole or toes of the foot.  Plantar warts are harmless and self-limiting, but should be treated to lessen symptoms, decrease duration, and reduce transmission.

It would also be important to know the ABCDE of  melanoma on the skin. A for asymmetry,  B for border, C for color, D for diameter and E for elevation. If  you see changes in these criteria, a visit to your dermatologist would be helpful in evaluating these moles.

Take care and regards.