Mole on Right Leg

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole on Right Leg

Hi:

I am 33, m, blue eyes, light skinned and went to the dermotologist today for a full checkup for the first time.  The doctor found one mole on my right leg that she said to be cautious sent to test.  It was 7mm, she said had a couple black dots, its flat, different shades of brown.  it is lighter around the 2 darks spots.  I am not sure how long its been there as it is on the outside of my leg around knee cap (hard to see).  Since I did notice it about 2 months ago, I haven't notices any drastic changes.  The dr. said its noting to lose any sleep over, just making sure about it.  Should I be worried?  is this common?  

thanks
Moles are flat or elevated, flesh coloured to dark-brown markings located randomly over the entire skin surface.
Moles are a clump of cells with different pigment (colour) than the surrounding skin. The surface of moles varies from smooth to pebbly and may contain heavy dark hairs or no hair growth. The number and type of moles that a person has is largely determined by family history.

Moles are occasionally present at birth and usually start appearing between 1 to 4 years of age, increasing in number into adulthood. Moles may be flat or raised and may contain a few coarse hairs.
Moles which are rubbed or damaged or are on the palms and soles are NOT more likely to become malignant. The colour of moles varies from flesh-coloured to dark. Moles do not indicate any type of disease or illness and can be removed by a number of surgical techniques if desired.

You need to worry only if you have observed a change in size, shape, color, border or if the thickness of the mole has increased. Also any bleeding or crusting or inflammation which happens spontaneously. These could be indicative of a serious change.like Melanoma.

Melanoma is cancer of the pigment cells. Only approximately 30% of melanomas arise from moles.

ref:http://au.health.yahoo.com/041101/25/1v1n.html