Mole since birth, contengital navi melanoma scared

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I've had a mole on my left ankle since birth, it's considered small maybe borderline medium so it has a low risk of developing into melanoma but I'm still scared and paranoid. I'm 17 right now, and my mum knows I get paranoid about being sick so easily so she refuses to take me to the dermatologist to get it checked, even though when I went a few years ago he said to get it checked annually. It is 3cm upwards and 1.5cm across. I covered it with socks going to school and the only sport I played was soccer in which the socks covered it too. If I were to get it removed it would require a skin graph which honestly, I don't mind but my mum won't let me, so I'm going to do it myself when I'm older but for now I'm just scared.

Here's a picture. (It's not very pleasing, lol.)
http://imgur.com/GmkvHsy
Tags: birthmark, mole, congential navi, navus, Melanoma, scared, risk