Mole that scabs over
I have a mole on my left nipple that started as a what looked like a freckle. When I had my daughter 5 years ago and breast feed her, it became irritated and scabbed over. Once the scab was gone, the mole was there, it had gotten larger and darker. Every couple months, it goes through a cycle where it will get darker and hard, then it will start to scab over. Once it is completely covered in the scab, the scab will start to break apart into numerous little scabs, still in the shape of the mole. Then it gets black around the edges and they will start to fall off. Once the scabs are off, the mole is there again, in a light shade of brown, at which point the cycle starts again. It is often itchy and is painful when it is scabbed. I have tried putting different types of deep moisturizers and antibiotic ointments on it when it is starting to scab, but this does nothing to stop it.

From the symptoms I would like to rule out the possibilities of seborrheic dermatitis and HPV wart. Seborrhic keratosis is caused by benign skin growth of keratinocytes. They can vary in color from light tan to black.

If it is a mole then also, it needs to be evaluated because, if you notice any change in the mole like color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi kyleesmom,

I would definitely get it checked out by doctor.  That said, I have a similar situation.  I have a small raised mole (light to medium brown in color) right under my right bra strap.  It constantly gets irritated due to rubbing by bra strap.  It will also scab up, turn really dark, then the scab will fall off and the mole returns to normal.  I have gotten it looked at and doctor gave me the option of getting it removed because of where it is, but other than that everything looks normal, just irritation by bra strap.  Depending on where your mole is located, it could just be rubbing on the inside of your bra and getting irritated as well.  Next time you are at doctor, mention it - might not be a mole at all considering it just started growing after breastfeeding.  Hope this helps!