Moles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Moles

I have had this particular raised mole for about 7 years. Its light brown in colour, and quite flimsy/soft to touch and uneven shaped. about 3mm big. im not really sure when it appeared, but it has been raised as long as i can rememeber. In the last 2 days I've noticed its quite sore and is reddy/pink at the base.
It's located on the side of my upper body. I've been to the doctor before about it and i was told it's nothing to worry about, but with the reddness and sorenes I'm worried. I have a doctors appointment in 2 days, but i would like to know what the risks are or if what i described could possibly be cancerous.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, if a mole starts changing in size, color, shape or, especially, if the border of a mole develops ragged edges or becomes larger than a pencil eraser, it would be an appropriate time to get it examined by a  physician.

Other changes which warrant an evaluation is one of the moles becoming different from the others and begins to crust over, bleed, itch, or becomes inflamed.
Any suspicion of a melanoma will require the removal of the mole and getting it assessed histo-pathologically.
Removal can be by excisional biopsy or by shaving.

If the change in the mole occurred as a result of some injury or trauma, it is nothing to worry about. However, if it is a spontaneous change, then it could be indicative of something serious. It often requires a dermatologist to fully evaluate moles.
Ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28skin_marking%29

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers