Mole(shaving)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mole(shaving)

Is it bad to accidently shave over a mole? It has happened twice already where i am shaving the back of my head and shave over it and cause it to bleed slighty. Its not a huge mole its rather small the size of the head of a metal pin head, black, and slighty raised. I would like to know if this is bad and can lead to greater issues. Thank you for anyone who replies.
Shaving a mole on such a manner should be avoided. It may form a recurrent mole. Recurrent nevus is a melantic skin lesion which clinically resembles a superficial spreading melanoma at the site of a recent shave removal of a nevus. What happens is that melanocytes left behind in the wound regrow in an abnormal pattern. This is accompanied by scarring, inflammation, and blood vessel changes and this both the clinical and histologic impression of a melanoma.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.