Dermatology Expert Forum
Molluscum or cysts?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Molluscum or cysts?

A few years ago, I had went to a GP for STD testing.  I was clean, but i had a few lumps on the underside of my penis shaft. The bumps  were flesh colored, about 1/4 apart, and about 2mm in diameter.  They were in an area of discoloration(maybe ezecma?) and hair (yes on my shaft.)  The GP said instantly that they were cysts caused by hair.  These bumps had been there for nearly a year. When i started noticing tiny white bumps in what appeared to be clusters towards the top of the shaft where there is no hair, i wanted a second opinion. I went to a dermatologist who said they were molluscum contagiosum and i freaked out knowing that they were contagious.  Luckily, my girlfriend at the time never contracted the disease although we were having unprotected sex.  He also told me that they would probably never disappear without recurrances. I had to go in twice to his office where the molluscum  were "flicked" off with a sharp tool.  I was clear for about 5 months or so when the bumps came back.  I've probably had the same bump now for about a year.  It is flesh colored to pink, and located at the base of the penis in a hairy region.  I actually tried cutting it off with nail clippers and then soaking it in alcohol to clean it.  The darn thing just came back larger with what looked like another bump right next to it. When i took it off with nail clippers, there was a bit of white pus and some blood by the way. I'm pretty sure nail clippers were a bad idea.  
I'm already going in for a third opinion, but yours would be nice.    My questions are:

1.  Do these bumps sound like molluscum or cysts caused by hair?

2.  If they are molluscum, what are the odds of them disappearing for good?

3.  I understand molluscum are not very contagious, but why are they so common in children and i'm stuck with them at age 23?

4.  Can friction from sexual activity or masturbation contribute to cysts?
1.  They sound like cysts, not molluscum.
2.  Mollusca go away in an average of 9 months.  Most of the time they are not contagious. Most of the time they do not recur.  But I don't think you have them.
3.  They are common in adults too.  Besides, I'm not sure you are stuck with them.
4.  No.

Please get a definitive opinion.  Before you get it, please don't mess with the bump so the doctor can tell.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
i was in the shower shaving my pubic area..and noticed this lump on one side on the skin.. well more likely in the skin. and i was really scared. i am still a virgin and i am not sexually active. the lump is skin color and when i noticed it.. it feel sort of hard like, i really dont know what it could be. i told my mom about it. she told me its probably becuase you have caughing so much from your cold, it probably put pressure into it..and caused to it puff up. i found it hard to believe her.. but could it be?. i never had anything like this before. its very new to me.
I had/have molluscum,   if you "scrape" them and the wart core comes out in the process, they will bleed like crazy,   just so you have an idea,  I never had any puss though.

Children get them easier because they have "new" immune systems that don't know how to fight it off,  Adults tend to get them easier too for various reasons.  I got mine after I severly weakened my immune system from drinking alcohol on regular bases over a 3 month period.  I cut down on the drinking, starting taking vitamins everyday and my body seems to be getting back to normal.