Dermatology Community
Molluskum?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Molluskum?

My 8 yr old developed a lesion on his lower back while we were vacationing. I took him into a walk-in clinic and they said it was a staff infection. They gave us liquid Erythimiacin(?) and said to keep applying hydrogen peroxide and keep it covered. After about 5 days he got another lesion on his side and on his leg so I went back in to the clininc (We were still on vacayion.) and the gave us Cephlex, a stronger anitbiotic.

When we got home we took him to our regular doctor who said it looks better and he would not need any cultures. 2 weeks later - today we take him in for his football physical and to show him that the spots are almost healed and the doctor says that all the bumps (that we were told three months ago were just skin tags) are warts called Molluskum. He burned off 12 tiny bumps and he has a few more the doctor wants to burn off in a couple of weeks, but he also said that my son would not be allowed to play football because he is contagious and it could last months even years.

What is going on? Will he not be able to play sports for years - what about school? Is there any quicker way to get rid of it?