Moluscum and Retin-A

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Moluscum and Retin-A

My son has Moluscum (molluscum) down in his genital region. I have read that doctors prescribed people retin-a to treat this. Is it safe to use Retin-A down in that area and is this a good at home treatment?
Retin A contains tretinoin and it can be used only with caution or unless and until it is very much necessary on the genital area but not close to the eyes or inside of nose. You have not mentioned about the age of your son but Studies on this medicine have been done only in adult patients.
Molluscum contagiosum is a common, benign, self limiting viral infection of the skin. It generally affects children and typically occurs in the 2-5 age group. Treatment includes physical destruction or manual extrusion of the lesions, cryotherapy, and curettage. You can get it evaluated from a dermatologist before starting with any treatment.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.