Mono and rash
A few weeks ago, I went to a walk in clinic with symptoms like enlarged lymph glands, fever, and night sweats.  I was told I might be  a sinus infection and was given a RX for amoxicillan.  I took only one pill that night and the next morning got a phone call about the blood tests they had done and sure enough it was mono.  I did not take any more of the amoxicillan after I was told it was mono. I had just started to feel better except a few days ago I had a rash develop on the palms of my hands which spread yesterday to a full body extremely itchy red rash.  Would taking one pill of amoxicillan give me this rash?  What is the best anti itch product to use for this case?  I was just prescribed prednisone  to get rid of the rash, but until it is gone I would love to know of some temporary relief to the pain and awful itchy feeling.  Thanks!
Mononucleosis is predominantly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).Infectious mononucleosis is generally self-limiting and only symptomatic and/or supportive treatments are used.
Rest is recommended during the acute phase of the infection, but activity should be resumed once acute symptoms have resolved.
Acetaminophen/paracetamol or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may be used to reduce fever and pain – aspirin is not used due to the development of a complication.
The antibiotics amoxicillin and ampicillin are contraindicated in the case of any coinciding bacterial infections during mononucleosis because their use can frequently precipitate a non-allergic rash.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis
Just apply calamine lotion to the body to soothe the itchy feeling.