Mosquito Bites on Penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mosquito Bites on Penis

I have what appears to be 3 mosquito bites on the tip of my penis and they are red and irritated after taking a shower. I also seem to have on on the shaft of my penis as well and they are itching like crazy. I live in the house with my girlfriend who never seems to get bit by mosquitos but me on the other hand always seems to miraculousley wake up with bites on my body. This is the forst time having a bite in this area and it is freaking me out. Can any one assure me that htese are bites?

This discussion is related to Insect bites on penis scrotum and leg.
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_f_tn

At this point, an insect bite is only a differential and there are other things to consider. Firstly, as this is relevant in your case, your sexual history has to be considered. A superficial skin condition may be a primary differential only after other diseases have been ruled out.

I suggest that you have a urinalysis and urethral swab culture done just for baseline assessment. A complete physical examination by a dermatologist will be able to help. Insect bites, folliculitis, fungal infections as well as dermatitis are main things to consider here.

Are there any associated penile discharge? Any changes in urinary character or appearance of urine?
Thanks for writing back, as far as any discharge goes there are none and urinating is all normal at this point. In terms of sexual activity the only person that I sleep with is my fiance. I am only convinced that they are bites because I have one on my leg and thigh just above my pelvis area that I received at the same time of the irritation on my penis. Can you describe any of the other infections that you mentioned like folliculitis?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Now that you mentioned there are similar lesions ( allow me to call these lesions) in other parts of the body ,this may strengthen the diagnosis of an insect bite. However, follicultis may still be a differential.

Are the lesions itchy or painful?

Any visible discharge or pus ?

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection casued by Staphyloccocus aureus a skin bacteria. It may infect the skin through cuts and nicks on the skin's surface.

"Folliculitis usually caused by staphylococcus aureus (S.aureus) is common in the follicle rich genital region. Typically, patients have several 1-2 mm pustules, each centered around a hairfollicle. Careful exam may show a hair follicle extending out of the pustule. Note, the lesions arenot grouped nor are they usually unilateral like genital herpes. Folliculitis can occur anywhere on the genitals though less common on the distal penis due to absence of follicles. Heat and sweat are aggravating factors. Patients may give a history of a new exercise routine or wearing synthetic jogging pants that retain perspiration. Patients will respond to topical or oral antibiotics directed toward S.aureus. A mainstay of treatment is antibacterial soaps."

Source:http://members.aapa.org/aapaconf2005/syllabus/5025GoldmanGenitaliaDerm.pdf

I suggest that you have this assessed by your primary physician. Folliculitis is not difficult to diagnose.It usually involves the hair follicles.