Mucous/Scabs in Nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Mucous/Scabs in Nose

I hope that someone here can help with this even though it is involving my nose. My nose has a somewhat scab/crust on the inside. But its right there on both sides of the center part of my nose. This has been going on for over 8 months (not an exaggeration) and gotten progressively worse.  

Basically it started out at the tip of my nose in the center.  It seemed that mucous came down the top of my nostril and settled at the top tip of my nose and so of course I removed the crust, which in turn created a sore, which would bleed and then that scab would mix with more mucous and crust... repeat scenario over and over. The sore is very small, but still very aggravating, painful and the crust is visible when there. Also, this sore sometimes has a strange smell to it... kind of like a musty strange smell, like pollen smells... i know, it sounds so weird.

Then in the last 2 weeks, more mucous has been draining in my nose, not at the tip only now, and now I have these scabby areas in both nostrils on the center side and then at the top tip of one nostril...  

I do not feel as though I have a sinus infection, so I am unsure where the mucous is coming from. and when I asked my doctor about it a couple of months ago, when it was just that one sore at the tip, she said that noses drain wierd sometimes and there isnt anything to be done but wipe your nose... great diagnosis and advice huh

Anyways, the mucous/blood scabs are quite aggravating and I can feel them which causes me to want to remove them, which doesnt help in the long run.

I know people say, don't pick the scabs, and I try, but it just keeps building up and I eventually have to.  I need answers to

Why is mucous draining down the top of my nose... how to i remove the scabs without making it worse... and how can I end this all together... this is driving me a little bonkers...

Sorry for the long explanation I just wanted to describe it with as much detail as I could and thanks for any advice that is given!

charlestongirl75

I so feel your pain. What you have described i have been suffering with for over 2 years now. The doctor doesn't help and i seem to be having problems with my ears too. If anyone gives you any answers please let me know. It's so painful and irritating and is made even worse by the cold i've just got over.  

,

This mucus is due to congestion of sinuses.For clearing the mucus,don’t pick at the scabs but put saline nasal sprays.It will help in loosening the scabs as well as in the sinusitis.Then they will come off on their own.

Also get yourself evaluated from an ENT surgeon and get your sinuses evaluated for chronic sinusitis.Transillumination tests and x-rays and CT sinuses may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Hey, ive had the same thing too, it first developed when I worked in a hardware store with lots of building dust around since then I had nasal scabs for over 5 years. I went to the doctors the other week and she prescribed me a cream called Naseptin. I live in the UK so not sure if this is available in the US, also you cant use it if you are allergic to nuts as it contains peanut oil but the scabs are pretty much gone and only get slight blocking now but not from scabs. I have had the cream less than two weeks.I did try saline nasal spray but as soon as i forgot it one day my nose seemed even drier than usual, plus it made my nose really drippy when I did used it. honestly this cream is fantastic, i dont know why i didnt go to the doctors earler.
not sure if you can use it if your nose bleeds from the picking. I had the scabs for so long i started breathing out of my mouth to try and stop picking before I did go to see the doctor so there was no chance that the skin was broken to the extent of bleeding before I used the cream (if that makes sense).
I smoke too so I do still have quite a flemmy nose esp in the morning, which really will not be helping things, this cream hasnt really helped alot with the flem (phlegm) but I can at least blow my nose with no pain now!
ask your doctor as you can only get it through prescription in the UK
NASEPTIN.
I'm desperate to get help but way too embarrased to go to a doctor about my problem.  I have had sores in my nose for over 25 years.  They started when I developed seasonal allergies and my nose was always running.  The tissue inside my nose became raw and I developed sores,  Started out only in the spring and would go away when my allergies improved.  Eventually my allergies where nearly year around and I had sores in my nose year round too. I began picking at the scab early on.  It absolutely drives me crazy when there is a scab in there!  They are dry and "pull" (although not painful) but are always in the back of my mind because of the dryness and the pulling. It also feels like I can't get a good deep breath of air and I find myself breathing through my mouth until I remove the scab.  The scabs and the picking became so bad that I now have a hole in the center that is probably well over an inch long and probably a half inch wide. I'm terrified that this is going to become infected and go into the bone and then on to my brain.  I have tried saline rinses, neosporin type antibiotic salves and have been on varying antideppresents  for depression (these were not presctribed because of the picking as I've never told ANYONE about it).  I need help but I'm so incredibly embarrased.  I don't want to tell anyone about this in person but I know I need help.  Someboday, anybody - what can I do to stop this without seeing a doctor???!!!
Do any of you suffer from psoriasis?  I believe this is a form of a psoriasis, or an auto-immune disorder *not HIV*.  In which the body over reacts, or attacks itself.  If there is a lesion in the lining of the nostril, the auto immune disorder causes it to scab over and the scab gets out of control, the more you pick and bother, the worse that it gets.  The best thing to do, is to do a juice detox/juice fast, and to follow a strict psoriasis diet, avoiding sugars, white foods - etc.  You can look up the psoriasis diet online or in a book, by Dr Pagano.  Though you may NOT exhibit other symptoms of psoriasis on other areas of your body, it is likely a type of psoriasis or acting as one.  The more you pick at the nose, the more likely it is that the psoriasis will appear in other areas of the body over time.  Again, the more you pick, the worse it will get. Even removing it gently will still cause the body to make more of what was removed.  But, using a saline and a cloth to lessen some of the top layers of it, while leaving a small layer on the immediate skin, should be OK for the first couple of weeks. Gradually, you may be able to remove what is on the immediate skin, if you believe that the wound beneath is COMPLETELY healed.  I would wait longer than you think is necessary, to be safe instead of sorry. If you start the wound back, you will have to do the whole drawn out process over and over again.
I have this problem to I feel your pain the sores closed up my nose making it to breath I recommend a salt spray that it will help
I have had this same thing for 20 years. Have been to several ENT's. Have been diagnosed with Ozena. There is no cure. Look it up and it will give you more info on it. Basically it is the deterioration of the lining and membranes in your nose. So your nose can't properly clean itself. I have to remove the scabby junk every day or I can't breath. The best help I have found so far is a Neti Pot. But you have to use it every day. Hope this info helps.
Hi same as spashe - naseptin had worked a treat for me. Within days I've got so much relief
That is interesting to hear about psoriasis. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis some years ago and treated for several years for hip pain. It eventually cleared up and I do not take the meds anymore. I was never convinced that that is what I had since I had no psoriasis symptoms such as on my skin. I also had ridging go my fingernails which is a symptom but my skin has always been very clear and not ever dry. I recently started getting this scab in my one nostril, towards the front and top and after realizing it wasn't a bugger, but a scab that kept coming back, I've become worried about what the heck it was. I decided a couple days ago to just leave it alone and see if it heals after a few weeks. I would hate to see this get larger or end up on the other side too. the scab grows back within hours and drives me crazy. I'm afraid other people might be able to see it since it's so close to the front of my nose. I'm glad others are sharing their stories. I didn't have a clue what was happening but it's possible it could be an immune issue or related to psoriasis - at least for me, that would make sense.
Hi I have had this sore up my nose for the last year and a half, I have took the top of it , it bleeds then the scab gets bigger it just bleeds and bleeds I have a scab on the other side, and its got that bad when I take the scab of both sides it just leaves a big hole rite through , its scary plus it just gathers up with muscus my sinus is very bad , I haven't seen a dr yet but I'm going have to as I can't breath through my nose much, I read I mite have to get a button put up my nose to cover the hole, its an operation u have to get done, its to stop the muscus and the blood all gathering up and go into  the hole
It is so annoying and sore cleaning my nose I have to use a cotton bud to get the hard crust and mucus out of the whole it has left in the inside of my nose .
I have the same, salt water does not help. I saw nose/ear doctor when I was abroad and she told me that it is streptococci or staphylococci infection most likely mixed with fungi infection. She prescrabed medication that helps. Unfortunately after a while it comes back so I have to use her medication again.
Hey! I might be abe to hep with a little trick :
No matter how much build up you have, 2 cups hot/warm water insink + table spoon of...table salt , then stir till salt dissolves.
Cup the solution with your hands (clean) and snort up into your nostril, pinch your nostrils (both) and wriggle your nose a little with your pinching fingers whilst occasionally tilting your head back to help the solution flow further up your nasal passage to your sinus area.
Hold your pinched nose for about 15 seconds and have a safe area to dispel what comes out (warning- what follows can be quite messy and worthwhile watching for onlookers of the extreme. GOOD LUCK! and I think the condition may be called sinusitis. Still interestingly looking for a full cure, though age, smoking, dusts from work environments may be main contributing factors. btw I love smoking, even though the toby tax wil eventualy crush me from this earth in a most callous fashion.
There is also an infection similar to creeping-herpes sore scabs up nose, where blowing seems to result in hard/large/sore pimples below the nasal opening, mostly on the chin area, there is a nasal ointment/antibiotic called CHLORISIG I think im sure it is labelled, extremely fast acting to kill nasties.
Although pepper mint oil/essence is very good antibacterial, BEWARE, as some oils seems to feed the nasty herpe like pimples.
Peppermint oil im sure though is brilliant for clearing sinus passages and ears, also I think it is anathema to cysts. If I felt one brewing, I would apply tissue with peppermint to the immediate area for 30 seconds roughly, allowing the peppermint to permeate the top layer and stop the cyst from growing and breaking out as a sore. Hey!  I wonder if continued application to the specific area would kill the cyst where it lies dormant, ridding it altogether???? G.L. again!!
I had the exact same thing. I cured it very quickly by taking a small glob of bag balm and putting it in the affected nostril. It also stops the stinging immediately and softens the scabs. Bag balm can be found at CVS or amazon for under $5.