My Knuckle- Itching, Scaling, Oozing

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My Knuckle- Itching, Scaling, Oozing

For about the past month, the top of the knuckle on my pointer finger has been itching like mad. About 2 weeks ago it got very calloused and raised, then it would ooze clear liquid a bit. The wrinkles in my knuckle would crack and bleed a little bit. The itching feels just like ringworm I've had in the past, but the physical characteristics are totally different.

I assumed it was fungal, so I put some cream my baby boy was given on it and covered it with a band aid. After about 4 days of this it cleared up and the callous was moist so I whiped it off. The next day it began to heal and the itching was gone. Not 3-4 days later it is starting again. It isn't raised again yet but it is itching like crazy and I can feel the skin getting tough again.

I have no sick leave because I am at a new job. Can anyone help? I haven't passed it on to my wife or child so it must not be very contagious. I assumed it was dry skin at first and scratched it a lot  but no one else has shown up with it.

This seems to be eczema on the knuckle of your hand.

Eczema is a localised thickening of the skin caused by some irritant, which leads to thick skin, oozing, cracks and mild to intense itching in the region.

The best way forward is to keep the area moist and clean/hygienic. Avoid itching at all costs, since that is the reason that the lesion spreads. You may also need to apply some steroid medication. Your doctor can easily prescribe one for daily use and application on the hand.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!  :-)

Glad to know that the post was of help to you and it is really nice of you to respond back and keep us posted.

Do let us know what medications were prescribed and whether any investigations were done and what were the reports. Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
I had an appointment for something else with my family doctor and she immediately agreed that it was eczema. She told me not to use the cortizoid creme very much as it thins out the skin.

It still itches like mad but I just cover it up with a bandaid and deal with it. As of today it appears to be sloughing off skin. Also, I remember having an itchy bumpy rash on my elbows for years so I guess that was eczema too, which would make me feel better about my finger considering I've had it before.
Hi.

It would be best if you consulted a skin specialist.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
What germs are exzema (eczema)? or is it the imune system acting on its own?