My body began itches after I began using Simvastatin-a cholesterol medi...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My body began itches after I began using Simvastatin-a cholesterol medicine

Does "Simvastatin" cause body itching???

I know that one of the side effect of Simvastatin is "itching". I began to use it one week before. But since that, I began to have body itching all over my body. I wonder if it is just a time coincidence, or it is a result of the negative effect of the Simvastatin??

Thanks for your help
Simvastatin is generally well-tolerated and side effects are rare. Minor side effects include constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, gas, heartburn, and headache. Major side effects include abdominal pain or cramps, blurred vision, dizziness, easy bruising or bleeding, itching, muscle pain or cramps, rash, and yellowing of the skin or eyes.
ref:http://www.medicinenet.com/simvastatin/article.htm

This could be an allergic reaction to the drug. It will stop if the drug is withdrawn.
You need to inform your doctor about this development. He might want to substitute it with another.

It cannot be a time coincidence unless you had the itching prior to starting the drug.
You could apply an anti-itch lotion or cold compresses on the skin to soothe the areas.
If itching persists after you stop the drug for a few days, then you may take anti-histamines to treat it but you will first need to discuss this with your Physician.
Thanks for your comments. The day I stopped using Simvastatin, I contacted my doctor regarding this. The doctor told me to stop using it immediately after he heard that my body got some allergic reaction toward the drug. The doctor gave me XYZAL-sample medicine- for itching. He gave me four pills and plus a Cholestorel medicine called NIASPAN. He said if itching goes away after four days of using the XYZAL, then I will try Niaspin and see how my body will react.

Now, after using XYZAL for two days, my body is still itching, there is no diffrence yet. I got two more pills of XYZAL. I'll wait two more days and I'll publish my comment about this medicine.

Thanks for your help.
On August 5, I finished the four pills of XYZAL that was given to me for my body itching. Unfortunately, the result is NO RESULT. The medicine had ZERO effect on my body.

Now, again based on my doctor recommendation I am using ZYRTEC temporarily. So far, it looks like ZYRTEC has also NO EFFECT on my body. Of course, one can argue that it needs some time to have some some effect on body.... etc.

Friday, August 08, 2008, I have an appointment with Dermatologist. I cant wait to see what dermatologist will recommend.

Because, so far, it looks like "try and error" which means if a medicine works then that is good, if not then lets try another and it continuous as a loop.

Regards,