Dermatology Expert Forum
My doctor said herpes, but how did I contract it?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My doctor said herpes, but how did I contract it?

Hello, I am hoping you can clarify some things my doctor told me...

I am a healthy 23 yr old male with no health problems.

I've lived in Japan for the past year and in the beginning of December of 2008 I suddenly noticed a rash of ulcers along my left buttock.

They looked like this (link)

http://www.medicc.org/publications/medicc_review/V/1/images/herp7.jpg

But only on my left buttock in a small area.

The day after noticing this my entire left thigh was swollen.  I took Avelox once a day for 3 days and that helped.  This was the only medication I took.

The rash was very uncomfortable before I got a bandage to cover it and moderately itchy.  But it was very easy for me to ignore it.  

I was able to have it checked by my American doctor later.  It had scabbed over and she determined it was HSV-2 and gave Valtrex.  I went for a second opinion with a doctor and he determined it was shingles.

He said because it was my FIRST outbreak and on my buttock it was uncommon to genital herpes.

I had received a bloodtest for herpes antibodies that came negative, but my first doctor said be would be inaccurate so soon.  In my entire life I have had sexual activity with only 3 women, ALL OF WHOM TEST NEGATIVE FOR HERPES.

Since I had two competing theories from doctors I decided to see a dermatologist but had to in Japan.  My problem is that I don't understand what he told me.

He told me he believed it was Herpes Simplex 2.  But since it was on my buttocks it was not an STD?, and probably came due to stress?  I made sure he understood this was my first outbreak but he said there is a long incubation period.  He said it may be from my parents, neither of whom have HSV-2 but both have HSV-1.

He said I am only contagious when there is a fresh ulcer. There are no accurate tests?  How did I contract it?

This is how it looks now (link, this is my picture)

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7684/img1656bm2.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5498/img1655os1.jpg

Plz help