DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
My face burns
by seasonedwthsalt, Jul 03, 2008
Hi, I don't know if I can state this correctly or not.  My face burns!  It burns really badly when I sweat.  It burns so badly that I can't stand it.  My face is so sensitive.  As a matter of fact it's very tight right now.  I've tried everything on it including all types of moisturizers, and I've tried washing every day to not washing every day.  Do any of you know what's going on?  I was at my nephew's wedding this past weekend.  It was outside, and I was sweating.  I was miserable because my face hurt so bad!  I hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Wendy  
Member Comments (3)
by Dr_Aparna, Jul 04, 2008
This could be an allergic reaction to your own sweat.Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin rash brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat. Symptoms follow any stimulus to sweat such as exercise (sometimes called exercise-induced urticaria), heat from the sun (which could also indicate solar urticaria), saunas, hot showers (reaction to water can also indicate water urticaria), spicy foods which may cause an increase in body temperature or even stress due to blushing or anger.
The affected area will often feel warm and can be extremely itchy or exhibit a burning sensation.
Cholinergic urticaria can be very difficult to treat.Often it is handled just with limiting one's exposure to triggers such as strenuous exercise or heat. Since an attack can often be felt coming on, it can sometimes be halted by rapid cooling, such as applying cold water or an ice pack to the skin.
Drug treatment is typically in the form of antihistamines such as loratadine (Claritin), hydroxyzine, cetirizine. You can also apply Calamine lotion to soothe the irritated skin.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria
by seasonedwthsalt, Jul 04, 2008
Hmm, that's very interesting!  Thanks for your response.  I have to sweat though!  Yes, I do have an itchy, burning sensation, and it is brought on only by sweating.  Although, it might happen when I'm in the sun too.  I used to get sun poisoning a lot.  The only thing is, is that even if I just run cool water on my face to wash it off it feels like it's going to crack.  It's not dry.  Right now, I just got out of the shower.  I put moisturizer on, and it still feels somewhat dry and itchy.  I'm going to look into  Cholinergic urticariaHives, and see what it has for me.  

Thanks!

Wendy
by Deedee19581960, Aug 27, 2011
What to use for the burning on my face