My hands and fingers are SO dry, cracked, and sore, please help!!!
I am a nurse and I wash my hands frequently as well as use an alcohol gel. My hands, primarily my fingertips, fingers, and knuckles are dry, cracked and bleeding. They are so sore that some days I can't even stand to use them. I have tried just about everything possible to heal them and keep them healed without luck. I do have several lotions and creams that I have tried, with gloves at night, but nothing helps. I use about 30-40 bandaids a week applying antibiotic ointment on them and covering them when I sleep. Sometimes they feel better when I awake, however by the time I get out of the shower they are horrible again. I can't stand it anymore!!! Does anybody have any idea what I could possibly do to help fix this? I am up for any suggestions and desperate to fix this problem! I need to be able to use my hands and fingers, I am a nurse and that's our primary tool. Thanks....
Your symptoms can be due to contact dermatitis, contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions that contain perfume, cold, dry air or fungal infections.

You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide) which are available by prescription.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections have to be ruled out then.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.