My hands are peeling...need advise

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My hands are peeling...need advise

The skin on both of my hands is peeling.  I've never had this happen to me before.  I did not get sunburn, I haven't used any new soaps or taken any new medications or anything like that, and I can't figure out what could be causing it.  I always use lotion on my hands several times a day.  The only thing I can think of is the cold weather we've been having this winter, but I always keep my skin moisturized and have lived through cold winters my whole life (living in Wisconsin) and never had my hands peel before so I think there is something more to it.  Did anyone ever experience this for no apparant reason and what was causing it?  Thanks.
If I expose my hands to bleach or detergents for too long I get a rough sensation when my fingers move together because the skin on my hands is flaking off.  Is it like that?  

If it is, can I recommend that you minimise contact with such products and scrupulously rinse your hands clean after coming into contact with them.  Also, try a different lotion that is suitable for very sensitive skin (handcreams often aren't).  I find plain old petroleum jelly is the kindest.

Hope that helps.
The skin on my hands was peeling for weeks.  It would peel away, leave new unblemished skin, then peel away again.  Sound similar to your situation?

There are several causes of the symptoms that you are having including blisters, eczema, psoriasis, sun burns, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister

Most blisters heal naturally and do not require medical attention. As new skin grows beneath the blister, the fluid contained within it will be slowly reabsorbed by the body and the skin on top will dry and peel off.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.