Dermatology Expert Forum
My husband has had what the Dr. Calls Fat Knot's and they are gett...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My husband has had what the Dr. Calls Fat Knot's and they are getting bigger.

My husband is 50 years old and a Vietnam Vet. He has what his Dr calls Fat Knots, and he has had them for 10-15 years and they don't hurt or seem to bother him in anyway. However he has for me decided to have them removed and checked out. What I want to know is what causes them and are they dangerous. I have asked many Dr.'s and each one has a different answer, Please Can someone tell me what causes the large knots, he has several on his stomache but the one on his neck is getting bigger and really worries me. Thanks, Elizabeth
Elizabeth:

I think what you are describing are lipomas.  These are benign collections of fat, which appear mostly on the chest, back, and neck.  They have nothing to do with fat that you eat in the diet.

Although they are in no way dangerous, they can get pretty large and unpleasant or inconvenient.  Sometimes people have them removed by surgery or even liposuction.

To reassure yourself, ask your husband to check with his doctors whether these are lipomas.  If they are, and then he might as well leave them alone unless they bother him.

Best.

Dr. R
I have a Lipoma the size quarter on my thigh.  I had a docter cut it out 2 years ago. And its slowly has grown back again.  I want it gone, but don't want the painful procedure repeated if its just going to be growing back again.  Please help me.
My husband has had these lumps for years also,  he is told they are nothing and with that he is happy,  I'm the one who worries about them, they are so strange.
I have a hundred or more lipomas, and they bother me mentally.  Apparently they won't harm you unless they form in a bad or painful location.  If they do, they can be removed surgically.  I have had several removed when pain is involved...

My doctor continues to check some of them when I go in, so apparently they are benign.  When they began forming 10+ years ago, I began panic attacks and anxiety.  The panic attacks continue to this day, and I blame the lipomas.  

I just needed something to blame.. lol

If you have had a similar experience, please post.  Thank you!!

Bill
My husband also has them. He has an appointment to get them removed. The only reason to get them removed is because they look so bad.
Can you have a lipoma on your forehead?  My 11 year old daughter has a lump about the size of a pea in the middle of her forehead right below her hairline.  It started out looking flat like a pimple about three to four weeks ago.  Now, instead of looking like a flat pea it is starting to get a little rounder.  Does that sound like what you all are refering to as a lipoma?  I am bringing her to the pediatrician tomorrow or the next day, but I would like to know your opinions.  Thanks!!