My legs will NOT stop itching...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My legs will NOT stop itching...

I'm 24 years old this month, female, I live on the west coast where it's always mild and cool for the most part, and NOTHING I do will stop my legs from itching. I lived in the midwest for awhile and noticed my legs itched a lot more there with the humidity, but it didn't stop when I moved back home.

It's so bad it wakes me up a lot during the night. I will scratch until I am bleeding and bruised, I'll even take a pumice stone to my legs on really bad days and scratch with that, but then my legs burn for a few days although I'd rather have that pain than annoying itching.

Things that seem to trigger/affect it are showering (particularly hot showers - but i'm allergic to hot water, i get white bumps and red patches from it), sweating, dry weather or humid weather, being cold in the slightest, if my legs rest on top of eachother while i'm laying down, shaving (although sometimes it stops itching for the first day).

I've tried switching soaps, detergents etc all that, I generally avoid any perfumed items. I've tried not shaving, and it makes no difference. After a month of not shaving I was still itchy, just more hairy. Aveeno products seem to be the best for my legs.

Moisturizers seem to actually make it worse for the most part. The only one that seems to help is Cetaphil.

It itches most on the backs of my upper thighs and lower legs but once i start scratching it itches everywhere.

Other issues I have include vitiligo on my legs, pelvis, and lower back, I've been told that is due to the fact that I am iGA deficient, which also causes me to get sick a lot. I am extremely hypermobile and have chronic joint pain. I take medication for anxiety/panic attacks/depression and I have switched meds a few times, no change on the itchy legs with the switching.

Please make the itching stop, I'm going crazy here =(

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.
anyone? =(
I am eighteen and have had this same itchy legs curse since i was fourteen... i thought it was due to shaving and somehow spreading bacteria under the skin by razor.  You only need one open wound to start a large infection.  I used tons of lotion and only found them irritating my skin more and i would cry over the self confidence issue.  most people need to find their one solution to their own unique problem... however after years i finally found a solution that worked wonders for me. it came to me on a trip to the Black Sea... i was in the salty water for days at the beach.  After only a week i completely stopped itching and was relived.  until about a month after my return to the States it started again.  instead of the crying (yes its that bad) i fell apon an idea.  I made myself baths with sea salt and and sat for at least thirty minutes in it.  this helped cure so many things like acne, rd bumps, severe itchy legs, and a wart on my foot.

i hoped this helped
It's eczema, you have to moisturize. Keep from scratching, it only makes it worse. Dead sea salts work. Soak in them every other night.
You need to find a moisturizer that doesn't bother you. Natural is better. You have sensitive skin, it doesn't like chemicals. Try olive oil, lavender, coconut oil, jojoba oil, cerave, eucerin. watch out for parabens and fragrance.
i'll try the sea salt baths and i'll look around for a moisturizer with the above, thanks =)
I have the same sort of condition - itchy shins and calves, with lesser itchy thighs. I don't know about anyone else but the feeling of a hot shower jet directed at my legs is the nicest feeling in the world - though the hot water probably doesn't help the condition overall.

One slightly strange thing though - my condition has been there for a couple of years, but when I was recently in India and Nepal for a month, I had no itching at all. I have no idea why, as I was in a hotter climate, and was trekking for much of that time. I'm wondering if (in my case) it might be detergent or shower-gel related. I'll have to experiment........
If it has to do with a local allergy - I suggest purchasing some local honey from a farmers market - make sure it was made near where you live - and eat it.  The bee's will have collected from a number of plants, and that will give your body just enough of it to create an antibody to fight any allergy.
If your rash has nothing to do with local plant life - then you are only out the cost of honey - but if it does then that is a pretty cheap and yummy cure.
I too, have suffered with itchy legs for years.  Some things I have done that help are:
*Use an electric razor. I think the skin was getting irritated by the razors maybe - but the electric razor has helped tremendously.
*I have noticed that when I drink more sodas (I drink diet drinks) and less water, I itch more.  When I drink more water and cut out the sodas, I itch lots less.
*Another thing we learned in (nursing) school was to be sure and moisturize within 3 minutes of getting out of your bath/shower.  This holds the moisture you just put on your skin IN.  Another trick my teacher showed me was to run a little warm water - add lotion to it - the warm water will melt the lotion - then wash off your legs, etc.  I do not use soap on my legs every day - I do this and it really helps.  When I get to itching, I will do this too and sometimes it helps.
*I have also noticed that if I eat a lot of wheat flour, I tend to itch more.  
Hope these help someone - it is miserable!  I usually itch more in the winter, also.
Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is an intensely itchy skin eruption. It usually shows up in young adults, and is more common in men and people originally from some areas of northern Europe. The symptoms are intense burning, stinging and itching around the elbows, knees, scalp, buttocks and back. More locations can also be affected and the severity can vary.

The cause of DH is allergy to gluten, a protein found in wheat and some other grains. Usually allergies, likes hives and hay fever, are made by the body's IgE system. This can be treated with pills and shots. DH is different, and is an allergy of the IgA system. IgA is an antibody produced in the lining of the intestines. The usual allergy treatments are useless.

The rash is caused when gluten in the diet combines with IgA, and together they enter the blood stream and circulate. They eventually clog up the small blood vessels in the skin. This attracts white blood cells (neutrophils), and releases powerful chemicals called complements. They actually create the rash. Iodine is required for the reaction, so people with DH should avoid using Iodized salt.
so im 19 was in a car crash 2 yrs ago after that at night i kept itchy my legs i have tried everything... i Dont HAVE dry skin water doesnt bother me and my legs are Very smooth... the only thing that helps is a very very hot shower point that i think im burning myself lol please anyone............
Hello everyone, I have been suffering with the similar condition.
I am a 22 year old male living in Australia.
"The Itch" Only occours on my shins / inner thighs.
Only known triggers thus far are very hot baths / showers and also when I am incredibly hot in my bed.
The only conclusion that I can come up with based on what I have read on this forum and observed myself is that it could be some sort of irritation of skin pigments which would be quite strange since I only itch in these two spots where my body hairs grow quite thick.
I havent found any possible cures, I find that I have to scratch the living **** out of myself (not the the point of bleeding) dry myself down very roughly with a towel and then apply Quarterzone cream. Once the cream is applied and my legs / thighs have cooled down no more itch.
So all in all I guess its temperature triggered, well in my case.
I like this website and decided to give my feedback after reading so many articles and peoples opinions about this or these conditions over the internet. I was amazed to see how many people are suffering these problems and I hope my advice will give an open door to many. My mother suffered from Itchy legs and arms after showers and at night and when I start having the symptoms I did not want to believe there was not cure and reason for it. I’ve been reading, trying and experiments so many treatments for the last 7 years. The problems were not so strong until I got pregnant with my first baby. Now this is my second pregnancy and during my first, I had hives, itchy, sensitive skin. Nothing helped, but to deliver my baby after 9 months. I am in my second pregnancy and more informed... I changed my diet: reduced fat as much as possible and substituted with DHA (during pregnancy) or fish oil (free of mercury when ).
Three years ago I started the master cleanser every 3 months. I learn about Acid and Alkaline in the body and how amazing was that they were related with my Itchy. I believe the answers is in the liver and yes it gets aggravates with stress, illness, diet, etc. As I advanced in my master cleanser, the problem was gone. I started to juice in the mornings and most times this is my breakfast with amazing the results.

We can go crazy trying to find the reason, the cure but we can understand that we are leaving in a polluted environment and we really don’t know what we are putting in our bodies. The skin is our friend letting us know something is wrong and we need to change it. There are many herbs that can help very much like Dandelion Root, Milk Thistle, Alfalfa, and burdock. I am cured from my Itchiest I have two reasons. The first one God heard my prayer but he gave the healing with knowledge so I can go and help others with the same problems and the second is the discipline to eat healthy…not what many think it is healthy but what it is good for the liver… and fasting, the master cleanser and some of my other advices are some of the ways free of drugs and with permanent results. To add something, I stopped using products with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS ) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)., they dry your hair but your skin too. I Sarna lotion and add it to my favorite moisturiser and use it in a daily basis.

This is my best advice. It is working for me! God bless and hope this will help many
I forgot to mentioned how much I agree with you opinion about salty water. I try to go to the beach every week. Thanks God I live near one. The salt water is good to dexot.
I duffer with the same problem for about 9 years now. It started when I was about 25, constant, nonstop itching of my lower legs only, occasionally traveling to my thighs.  So horrible i would often find myself itching uncontrolled with a knife or brush as harsh as it sounds, it literally makes you go crazy!  With no rash ever present and my heartbeat around 160 ive tried everything from cold clothes to lotions which make it worse and topical anesthetics! Nothing works! docters have no answers for me. It often starts when I get out of the water, whether it be the shower, the pool or the beach, also after shaving and in the middle of the night and sometimes for no reason at all. Ive come to the conclusion being in the medical field the only thing that helps me is Benedryl!  This though becomes very hard being a mom of a 16 month old and being pregnant because it makes you drowsy! But its either i try to fight off the drowsiness or deal with the anxiety!  I try not to take it more than 4 times a week if I can help it! I also think stress is a contributing factor but havent tried meds for that yet.                                                     from  Tammie
i am a male, live in Texas. This problem developed for me over the last several years- intermittent highly itchy skin on my shins and calves and the tops of my feet sometimes. to the point of scratching many small wounds and scabs on my legs, even in my sleep.

Same as has been reported on several of these threads- the condition is worst after a shower, or work (energetic activity) then lying down or sitting for long periods. Soaps, lotions,powders, anti-hystamines, even fairly inert substances like Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol seem to aggravate the condition.

i dont take any prescription drugs. Occasionaly i take Aleve (non steroidal anit-inflamatories) for Gout. ive always had pretty bad skin- dry that is, with a tendency to develop fungus rashes- Dandruff and dry skin are a result of that.  i do use shampoos with Selenium Sulfide (selsun blue and generics etc.) but other than that i try hard to avoid getting any kind of chemicals or dyes on my skin, using odor and dye free soaps or detergents.

i dont believe these other conditions are directly related to the severely itching legs, but stress does seem to exacerbate all of them. i work nights and my sleeping patterns can get pretty awful. i am not in the best shape, but i work a pretty active job and i think more excercise and sunlight will help.

Some of things i thought it might be i am pretty sure now that its not- alergies (allergies), fleas or some other kind of pest , some type of fabric irritation or vitamin deficiency.

This never happens when i am active, only after stopped to rest or am going to bed.

After reading several of these threads i am thinking it is either a vascular problem or a toxic substance of some kind in my system. i did as a few people suggested and took a scalding hot shower (normally tepid or cold showers make the problem worse, especially use of soap on my legs-i dont shave at all) That did alleviate the itching after a little while,  but i wonder if that was just me damaging my nerve endings and numbing the area while the problem remains.

This happens primarily in summer and also seems worse when my  shower/bath has been slow to drain or backed up- (maybe a mold or fungal cause? but if so, why just the legs?)  i mention that because some other folks also noticed that- could be a coincidence but anything is worth mentioning, if you dear reader, are desperate for relief like i am. The AC is also always on when i have an itchy-attack. Unlikely, but sudden temperature change also seems to be a recurring theme  on this one.

in conclusion i do believe its important to break the scratch/itch/micro-wound/scab cycle. i do believe its important to detoxify the body, eat a varied and mostly healthy diet, lots of water, reasonable amounts of excercise, get vitamins, get sunlight. Keep your fingernails immacuately groomed my itchy friends and very short. Remove as many of the chemicals and irritants from your life as you can.

i am moving to another apartment this month so i will find out if its something in my immediate environment and ill let you guys know.
I get this from time to time. Last night, it was really bad. I rubbed some Bach flower Remedy Rescue Cream on my legs and the itching eased immediately.

It's wonderful stuff and certainly can't hurt to try.
i've found that waxing instead of shaving helps. it seems to be that the itching starts as hairs grow back in, and the girl that does my waxing says i get a lot of in grown hairs. i've started exfoliating twice a week and that seems to really help, it gets the hairs out from under the skin.
My mother suffered for 5 straight years with massive unending itching.  She found out that her problems was an extreme overdose of Calcium.  The doctors did not believe her but when she got a bloodtest done, it showed that her calcium levels were off the charts.  She had terriable itches on her lower and upper legs and arms.  After a couple years of no relief it started spreading to all of her body, all the while she still took her calcium supplements.  Only when she discovered that her calcium was so high, she took magnesium (which is supposed to withdraw calcium from your system) as well as going off dairy entirely, it took quite a few months but she has been hive-free for over 10 years.  She can now have dairy but she needs to be sure not to over-do it so her calcium levels do not become too high.  She explained to me that no relief could be found, no anti-itch cream, no benedryl, bathing etc. The only relief she could find was to ice the area that was so bad.  

Unfortunately, I have just developed this same problem, and it is so terriable.  I have itchy lower legs, sometimes it will go up to my upper legs and forearms.  It find it awefully coincedental that I was just put on calcium supplements by my doctor 2 months ago. I had almost finished one of those big bottles of calcium supplements when the itching started.  I have to take cool baths, and the more I scratch the hotter my legs get, the best way for me that I have found to ease the itching is to keep my legs cool.  Icing my legs is key to stop the insanity.  I have immediately stopped my calcuim and went off all dairy for a while to see if I have the same problem that my mother did.  I have to say that the itching has somewhat ceased but not entirely but I have only changed my diet for about 1 week so far.  

Wish all the best to those out there who are suffering from this problem that makes us go crazy.  I hope that this info may benefit someone out there!

Michelle
I have had itchy legs mostly on my shins for as long as I can remember. If I think back far enough I'd have to say since I was at least 8 I can remember itching. I'm 21 now, and still itching. I have tried to stop shaving and I just get hairy. I read all of the posts from everyone and have to say I am so happy I am not the only person to have this. I have been to nearly 25 doctors and not one of them knew what to tell me about it. I haven't been on a constant medication, and my levels are checked regularly so I know it's not things like too much Calcium. I don't use fragranced anything and I can't use lotion. Lotion makes it burn then I break out in hives.

I did notice a lot of the posts had one thing in common: showers. Everyone was saying how a hot shower feels good (agreed.) and how you itch more afterwards but I don't. I don't think I've ever noticed itching after a shower.

I itch mostly at night. The moment I lay down in bed I'm scratching. My partner is always trying to talk me into stopping but I can't. It brings me to tears and I want to scream if I don't scratch the itch. The moment I do, it spreads. I can't find the itch!!

I have no signs of rashes or anything blah blah. I've tried pretty much everything. Different soaps, diets, more water, less this, more that and none of this....

My only advice that I have EVER found to work well enough to stop the itch for me to fall asleep is Camamile lotion. It stops the itch after a few minutes and keeps it gone for a little bit. Only problem is that it's a messy lotion and makes your legs all white-ish  pink.

Good luck to everyone, I hope one day they figure it out!
Ahh I'm not alone!  I'm 17, and I've had this for a couple of years now.  For me it's worst at night, usually when I lie down in bed.  It's worst over my calves and shins, though it sometimes moves onto my thighs if I scratch (it's making them itch just thinking about it).  I wondered if it was something to do with the fact that I wear tights or leggings all the time, or if it was to do with circulation.  My mother suffers from Reynauds syndrome, a circulatory problem that means blood doesn't reach her extremeties very well when it gets cold.  Apparently it's hereditary, and although I haven't experienced any of these symptoms , I wondered if they could be linked - she too gets the "itchy legs" (as does my sister, though less often).  It really is quite irritating, and I can't find any definate answers on the internet or from doctors.  I'm just glad I found some people with the same thing!
Does it even have a name?  I call it "itchythosis", after I misread a word on the back of the E45 cream I was using to stop the itching.  I think it helps to give it a name, haha.
I too have severe itchy legs. I had PUPPPS when I was pregnant and was told that it would disappear after the baby was born. Here I am six months later and the itching is so bad, that I scratch my legs till they bleed! I have scabs all over my legs and now the itching is on my torso and arms as well! I was told by my doctor that it is hives, but I have no clue what I could be allergic to!?!?
From reading the above posts, I am wondering if I have a glutan allergy or something similar?  I also noticed that Stress was a common factor in a lot of the replies as well.
I think I am going to have to make a lot of changes in my diet!
Are you guys ready for this?!  I have figured it out!  Im just like everyone here I have been itching my legs for over three years now and hating every minute of it.  My girlfriend cant sleep good at night and I cant sleep at all.  All of you are right about how to treat it and im going to tell you why.  I just figured it out after I saw these posts and talked to a random person that i knew.  I did alot of research and if you dont believe me you can look it up as far and long as you want and it will all come back to one thing!  SULFATE!  We are all allergic to sulfate!  
Wo wo wo  I now your all screaming for more.. so ill feed you baby birds!

People who quit eating bread and felt better well guess what?  Bread has sulfate in it.  A lot of foods have sulfate it, and when i say a lot i mean A LOT!  But most of these foods have low dosage in them so they dont bother us unless you eat a crap load of sandwiches (like me, im a sucker when it comes to meat and cheese between to thick slices of....) sorry lost focus.  Where was i... O yeah.  So the foods that use this sulfate, use it to keep foods fresh longer by keep fruits from browning to quick and bacteria growing on them.

Ok, now for the people that have to use unscented products and all that air smelling like nothing stuff.  Yuck!  Well your right!  Most of the good stuff has sulfate in it.  This sux!  I dont know about you guys but i like to smell good, especially for the ladies!  No girl ever says "I like the way you smell like nothing, it reminds of a time of no where"!  And before it was worth it, smelling good all day for a sleepless night of hell.  Ehh now that im spoken for,  hell no!  Give me the unscented crap!  But dont give up! There are alot of companies that make NON-SULFATE shampoos/soaps etc.. So scrub away with that ocean breeze!

Next.....The stress/depression folks,  well hey let me make it easy for you.  Stress/depression = more food = more.... you guessed it..SULFATES!!!!  and to make it worse alot of the medications for those problems have some kind or other sulfate-ish ingredient in them.  Sorry guys cheer up everything will be ok.  Look at the bright side at least you will smell good!

Oh and this, what im about to tell you, i think is the worst part of being allergic to sulfate.  So, i live in a big city in Florida thats always cutting corners to save money, called Jacksonville.  I have only been here for a little over three years. Huh,  thats about how long Ive had the itchy leg itus.  What happens is that natural waters/springs contain a high level of sulfate and the cities with the crappy water purification habits tend not to filter all of it out,  So this why we all get those little red, five minute rashes when we get out of the shower along with the bloodshot or itchy eyes.  O that reminds me temperature does matter too, cause your body tries to secrete this when your allergic to it to get it out of your body so it tries to push it out of your pores. Thats why saunas are bad for us (if we r not watching what we eat/drink if so, then they rock!) cause we leak sulfate that irritates the skin.  Hot showers feel awesome until we get out into the steam filled room,

So yes everyone is right for dulling or suppressing the symptoms with their methods and most of you were right with the problem you just didnt know why.  So now we do know, and i dont know about you but im feeling better all ready!

So if you want to still eat/drink/use all of that stuff that contains sulfate go right ahead just limit your intake, or saltwater bath after, or lotion, or run with natural honey in your mouth into the ocean with fresh sunscreen and dont forget the unscented lotion afterward to keep all the salty moisture in.  Hey as long as it works keep doing it just keep in mind the real cause of all our agony.  SULFATE, F^*#ing SULFATE, i hate you, you ruined my beautiful hairy legs!

If you are parents definitely look at these web sites cause if your kid has asthma sulfate can hurt them also.

Just so everyone knows that this allergy is just a random occurrence to random people nothing causes this as far as they know but for some reason though ever place i read said it happens to people more it there twenties.  Hmm two more years and ill be 30 so hopefully ill be safe.

Here is a website that has all the foods that contain sulfate
http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

and for those skeptics that dont believe me here is a website that you can start your own research with
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32915/what_is_a_sulfate_allergy_and_how_will.html

Its not all the research but its a good place to start.

I hope this helps everyone!

Good luck and quit scratchin!
Itchy leg started about 2yrs ago nothing seem to work or?
What am I doing and is it working for Me.?
When my legs get rely itching I use the hand shower and spray very hot water on them that feel so good, like scratching without thatching I do this for about 2-3 min than I use J&J baby oil and plaster it on let it soak in.
This will solve the problem for severe itching aprox 24 to 48 HR
Use J&J oil 2 times a day
Ride my stationary bike 2x a day 1/2 hr medium to hard workout to keep the hart and blood near max  This all works for me very little problem now
Keep on trying maybe something ells works for you
Well I just read everyone's comments and I could just cry with relief! I seriously thought I was a total freak of nature!  I have been driven to the point of vomiting with agitation this week with my itching!  I have suffered since I was in my early teens (at least 20 years now) and have tried EVERY possible remedy with nil success.  All I know is that it's worse in summer and the thought of shaving my legs makes me feel ill anticipating how bad the itch will be afterwards!  The irony of this is that they are fine when I shave them in winter - just not summer (which is when bare legs are needed!!) - and for the record I tried waxing and all was good for an hour and then an itch worse than anything!

I read with great interest the comments from by Chadhoward82 and will indeed do further investigation into this.  In actual fact the itching did get worse once I started eating reasonable amounts of summer fruits and I had wondered if there was a link there...

Good luck to everyone!
Hey everyone. I have had this problem now for at least a couple of years and it's interesting to see so many others having this problem. I have a strange question to ask about it. Does anyone believe that a diet that consists highly of energy drinks could cause this itching? The last comment I read suggested that too much calcium could cause the itching. And I also happened to have an energy drink next to me and it listed calcium pentothenate as an ingredient. I was just wondering if maybe any of you other guys drink one or more energy drinks a day as well?
I have extremely itchy legs every day, mostly occurring when I change clothes. I've tried hypoallergenic non-fragrance lotion, and it made no difference. I am 25 living in California and I do not remember itching like this years ago when I lived in Florida, so it could be the pollution or cold weather aggravating the pores.. or it could simply be age and not exfoliating enough. I am going to try exfoliating regularly. The only other idea I have is that drinking coffee causes it? I am glad I'm not the only one who has dealt with this inconvenience especially the tiny bumps/scabs afterwards!
I have had itchy legs since i can remember. I am gonna be 28 and still have not found anything to work. I was diagnosed with Folliculitis, they gave me some steroid cream to use, but it burned so bad, i never used it again. I have been dealing with this long enough, there's got to be someone out there that knows what it is. Like most of you, i have also turned to using other objects to scratch my skin. I even have my husband leave his nails a little longer so he can scratch for me. (which feels amazing, until he stops and then its back to the torture) I have noticed that its not only my legs now, my arms have started it too. Not near as bad as my legs though. I tried not shaving, but that doesnt work. I've heard about the whole gluten thing, which i might have to try out. I seriously thought i was the only one that had this condition, makes me feel a little better. Now lets hope to find the cause!!!!!
My sister used to itch on her arms legs and neck.  She was told she was allergic to a list of things.  No medication worked.  I spent two weeks looking into what could help her, she was dealing with this problem for decades.  I found something called Sweat Rash.  It's when your body is hot and your sweat glands are not developed enough.  Like a form of  prickly heat, your body itches because your sweat glands are closed.  The site could only suggest vitamin A and cool showers and to stay away from things that would clog her glands more.  Well she tried it and after a few weeks her skin cleared up and her skin was soft.  It's been 6 months, and all is well.
I have had itch legs since i was about 15 years old i am 25 now like many of you the itching is crazy! it starts at the bottem of my legs then goes up i hate this so much. I have been to many doctors, tried meds for it but NOTHING works. I wake up in the middle of the night itching my husband doesn't like to sleep by me because he says I wake him through the night.Shaving makes my legs go crazy with the itching. I don't know what else to do.
hahaha all these things are funny because i can totally relate i scratch the living life out of my lower legs at times it gets so itchy the only relief i get is when i shave it dry that itchy spot and rub a freshly cut lemon over the itch it stings so much but feels SO DAMN GOOD.
You end up scratching over the frickin scabs hate it so much i thought our house was infested with flees then i thought i was going insane and that it was all in my head we had flees now i just dont give a damn ill pay anyone to scratch my legs. I need to look into the sea salts, moisturizer and honey things see how it goes.

Hope everyones had luck with theirs and have stopped scratching completely lol sounds like a quit smoking advert on here hehe thanks all.
Yours most probably can be coused by the car accident you had ''venous insufficiency'' take a look on this one.
I have had itchy shins too for about two years. I have suspected age? and then laundry detergent. I changed to hypoallergenic detergent and it stopped for months. Then it came back and I tried all kinds of creams.
   But then one night I notice tiny blisters or whelps in the area that I was scratching. From a holistic/herbal background, I suspected that it was the result of something that I was eating. By accident I eliminated it down to soda related products. I used to be a big Diet Coke drinker, but not any more. I have tried classic coke and for a while I didn't suffer but it came back with that too. Not sure what element I am reacting to but have suspected it is the artificial sweetener. At this point what I know is that it is gone and stays gone until I have a few sodas again. A night or two of scratching and I am soda free again!
I am so relieved to have found this sight and knowing I'm not the only one going crazy with itchy legs! Only difference is I'm in early 40's, not 20's, and mine is especially bad on uppers, not shins as much. Also scratch so bad at night I have bruises and bleeding.  I;ve been to derm. and tried all above. Diet does make the most sense, esp. sugar and coffee. Will try a cleanse as well. thanks, fellow scratchers!
I'm only 13 and am plagued with te SAME problem. I guess I'm allergic to hot water also, I get red patche on my neck, chest, knees, an thighs when I take a hot shower. I literally got out of one no more than 5 minutes ago. My legs then stared itch badly. I scratched and actually started to bleed. We have some Aveeno and after I applied it I felt MUCH better. It's Aveeno Extreme Care or something with 1% Hydroclorozone or something similar. It's a maroon and beige tube, and provides much needed relief. I'm going to try that salt bath (Cold water, of course :) and try to get rid of this once and for all.
Hello, mine is so bad that after scratching all over my entire body, I end up with welts and what seems to look like bad carpet rash, but not caused from a carpet!!
I itch every where, especially my inner thighs, hip & belly button and now i itch my boobs all over. I havent shaved for a couple a weeks. Shod I see a doctor? Its highly embarrassing now!
my shins,ONLY MY SHINS sometimes itch like a ************,  its like the itch is under my skin instead of on  the skin itself, ive been told by a doctor once, when this first happend, shortage of vitamins
I just had a TERRIBLE itch outbreak and it brought me to this page.  I was on my way to the gym and had to turn around in heavy traffic (and almost cause an accident) because the itching was so intense.  
The sulfate suggestion is what really stuck out to me since lotions don't seem to help at all.  To re-state what another guy said, it's most likely an allergy to sulfate.  Here is a list of foods that contain sulfate, and should be avoided http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm
One thing I did that seemed to help was putting bags of frozen vegetables (or any frozen items from your freezer) directly on the itching area.  I learned this trick from the movie Big Daddy and it actually worked for me.  However, I don't always have frozen vegetables near by so my main suggestion would be to avoid large amounts of foods that contain sulfate.
When you bathe, try soaking for a few minutes in luke warm water with corn starch, then rinse well with cool water, pat dry gently. When you launder your towels, put them thru a second rinse and don't put fabric softener on your laundry as anything with perfume is irritating. For the dryness try vitamin e, plain vitamin E either break open the liquid capsule or the health food store may have it in a bottle, not a "vitamin E cream" that has perfume and heaven knows what else in it, warning it is greasy probably want to use it at night not to take a chance of staining good clothing.  They used to make a cream called "Shephards", very very expensive but did not need a prescription, the pharmacy may be able to find it for you. I was a hairdresser for 20+ years and that was the only thing that would help my hands after long days of shampoo and perm chemicals. Good luck.
Have you ever considered taking a skin care vitamin that strengthens your condition instead of putting a bandaid on it.  I suffer from extreme itching as well but I use pure olive oil or maracuja oil on the affected areas and take a skin and hair vitamin that boosts the health of this area.  I have noticed quite a difference!!  Lotions are a quick fix but oil will hydrate.  I live in a cold climate and this is the only solution I have found instead of using a damaging prescription.

I've solved my itchy leg problem!

I'm 65 and fortunate to have very good health apart from agonising itching on my lower legs for the last few years, mostly at night but occasionally during the day too, and I'd HAVE to scratch my legs raw, even though it hurt, otherwise I'd never sleep. I've eaten healthily and avoided chemicals as much as possible for a long time, but assumed I had some sort of allergy so carefully monitored my diet etc. I could sometimes go for quite long periods without itching, without really knowing why. Then a few months ago when it returned with a vengeance I realised it was a winter thing, which made me wonder if I was deficient in vitamin D. I started taking 500iu of D3 and noticed a huge improvement, so I knew I was on the right track.

Hooray for the Internet! I did lots of research on vitamin D3 from both sunshine and supplements and discovered that there is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency, causing large numbers of diseases, including allergies, and that it is safe to take large doses if it cannot be obtained naturally from sunshine. (Sunscreen blocks the beneficial rays that produce vitamin D on our skin, and for much of the year, depending on where you live, the sun is loo low for those good rays to reach us anyway.) It is highly recommended to get your D3 levels tested to see if you are deficient.

I increased the supplement for a few weeks, and added vitamin K, and am thrilled to report that I am completely itch-free and my previously scabby and scarred legs have healed. It's a very wet Spring here in the UK and I can't wait to get my D3 naturally from the sunshine. But I will definitely be taking supplements again next winter.

I really hope this helps others who are suffering like I did, but please do your own research on the benefits and dangers of sunbathing and supplementing with vitamin D. There's masses of information out there. Good luck!

I've had this problem for over 30 years.

I was told it was stress or sensitivity to chemicals. during my school exams I even given valium as they thought it was just stress. I always new it wasn't.

I've discovered that I  cannot use most washing powders or fabric conditioners. I buy washing powders from health food shops now which has improved things significantly.

I am also sensitive to the chemicals in tap water, the levels of which fluctuate depending on their times of putting in chemical cleansers etc. A shower filter has made a huge differnce to me.

I now use a handful or two of organic apple cider vinegar to wipe my legs with when I occasionnally get itchy legs, and stroke them gently. It takes about 15 mins approx to pass and I can't have anyone near me as I need space to try to help myself relax, including deep slow breathing. I can usually can pin the itching down to sweat, humidity, wearing clothes that aren't cotton on my legs or showering without a filter.

I don't use soap on my legs. I also try to keep them moisturised with Extra virgin olive oil (ordinary olive oil has been chemically extracted) or 100% coconut oil.

I also recommend research into candida and how it can effect the skin. Reducing (or preferably eliminating) sugar in the diet is helpful, as is eating as many fresh and preferably organic fruits and vegetables as you can. A healthy diet and drinking plenty of filtered water is essential for long term skin health. Vitamin E and fresh aloe vera is also great. Buy a plant- great natural skin healer- although the skin shows no signs of aggrivation you still need to look after your skin.

Good luck. Please copy and paste this info on to anyone else you think may benefit from my years of trial and error at sorting this problem out.
put a light layer of Vick's Vapo Rub for immediate - long lasting relief from the itch. It works....when you can't do benadryl
Benadryl works!  I've read all of the posts, and haven't found any mention of Benadryl.  Before Benadryl I would scratch my legs at night until they were raw and bloody.  I took the max dosage of Benadryl and in a short while the itching stopped.  One cautionary note.  It will make you sleepy, but if you take it at night that might be a blessing.  Don't take my word for it. Go ahead and google "Benadryl and itching."  So many people sing its praises. Benadryl  is a gift of the Gods.....
omg i have the same problem, i thought i was the only one. my legs will itch so bad ill take anything sharp to scratch all over :( it will leave me scratchs, bumps, its awful its hard to control. !!!!
I started out with itchy thighs and butt cheeks..  I had an allergic reaction to laundry detergent when I was younger and this is what it felt like..  I had remembered I used a new fabric softener shortly before the itching started..  so I washed all my clothes again with scent free detergent twice and I am still itchy weeks later.  I am constantly taking benedryl and slathering on hydrocortozone cream..  I just broke down and sprayed lidocane sunburn spray on top of it hoping it would numb the skin.  Its ridiculous.. I have NO rash, NO bumps, nothin aside from this itch which has moved its way up my sides and on my belly from my thighs and buttocks..  I called my Dr and they said to take Benedryl..  and if it doesnt work then to come in..but I dont have insurance right now..    its driving me nuts... wakes me up at night..  I itch myself so badly I broke an acrylic nail right off my finger..  I dont know what to do!!  Its horrible!!
I am going through this myself and have been researching online for an answer.  My Dr. just recommended benadryl but I believe that my problem is candida yeast.  I told the nurse that I wanted him to prescribe an antifungal med to get rid of the yeast and some cortizone cream for the itching.  I am waiting for a return call right now.

Some of the causes of the itching might also be:  allergy to metal (razor blades), gluten allergy, too much iodine in your body, and/or diabetes (high blood sugar feeds candida yeast) side affect.
I had the same thing for years and recently found out what it is.  My body has become intollerant to ANY form of Sulfites.  Its in tons of pre-packaged foods, including frozen food, medication...even wine.  The worst for me is dried fruit, wine and anything with lemon juice or vinegar.  As long as I don't eat anything with sulfates I don't itch.  Try it! :)  hope it helps...
Make sure its not scabies,thats how a friend of mine started, then everyone around got it, because drs. kept saying its not a bug its allergies. even if a dr. cant scape ur skin they can prescribe cream or pills. just to be on the safe side, but then u also have to clean everything.
I am going insane my legs are so itchy, ice packs help because my skin feels like it's on fire. But  I will try some of the this I have read on here for sure, thanx everyone!!!
I've had this problem for what seems like forever! I'm eighteen by the way. All lotions burn and make me want to cry but celiphil does help a little. What helps the most and may take away itching for a while is by taking a shower. The. Once you shower do NOT dry yourself and put on Coconut oil right away. Strait from the bottle. It wil feel weird but just do it! It will soak in and make them feel better! It's the only thing that truly works.  I've tried so many home remedies and none worked. Defiantly try the coconut oil!
I had the same thing a year ago. Intense itching on my shins, then it spread to calves, ankles..no rash, no redness except from me scratching. It was driving me crazy. The only temporary relief was to put Selsun Blue(I used CVS brand) on them and leave it on for 20 or 30 minutes. Then when I got in the shower to rinse it off(cold h20) they would immediately start itching! Finally, I went to a holistic doctor. I found out I had parasites. I took an herbal supplement that he prescribed, and my itching faded away. I would say that since last Fall, I've had itching on my legs 4-5 times. BUT it has lasted maybe 5 minutes, and less intense! And it's usually when I'm having some colon issues. I strongly suggest you see a holistic doctor. Mine is a chiropractor that is also into holistic health. Good luck to all!
Holy cow!! You are absolutely right!  My upper thighs have been itching for eight months now and I haven't been able to figure out why!  But after reading your post the lightbulb went off!  Eight months ago I was diagnosed with iron-deficienct-anemia and was placed on 650mg of iron pills a day.  The scientific name for iron pills ----------  ferrous sulfate!!!! Thank you!!  Gotta start eating more red meat and spinach and get off these pills!!
I have the same issue and so does my boyfriend, every night........ we have treated for everything.Even got vynil sheets and brand new blankets.Still itchy. Yes it looks like insect bites, but I have never found any kind of bug, its been a year now, treated for invisible dust mites, body lice, scabies, even tried the salts and and bleach in case of bacterial infection. Still itchy, I wash my blankets everyday, even tried different soaps, nothing. I have a baby on the way due in July, please help before baby has to suffer too. I dont know what to do. I am crying and hopeless . Please help
I know this is an old thread but I suffered the same things on my lower legs and nothing would clear it. It seemed to then spread to my thighs and hips. It was unbearable. Id been to the GP, chemist, health food shops and dermatologist to no avail. I then went and got Laser Hair removal done on my lower legs and since its been done I haven'rt had a single itch. The girl doing the laser treatment said my hair was growing back at an odd angle every time I shaved and it was causing the irritation and I made it worse by scratching. The relief when I got it done was unreal. That's what worked for me, if I hadn't gotten it done Id still be scalding myself in the shower for relief
I am in my forties also and it is mostly the back of my thighs!  I swear it is going to drive me insane!  I soooo don't know what to do!  It just showed up one day and has been killing me ever since!
So, I've read most of the comments and would like to add my own. I searched this because I'm suffering as well. It's only been a few months, but I had this last summer on the shins, but only briefly. Would scratch until I bled, but passed with the changing of seasons. Summer came again and it came back, only now the hot summer is over and I still have it, but much worse. I dig into my legs until I bleed and it spreads from the shins to the ankles, and sometimes thighs.
I have no answer, but the sulfite/sulfate allergy doesn't seem to fit in my case. Someone else suggested a vitamin D3/K deficiency, but I'm not sure about that.
Someone else suggested researching Candida, which struck a cord. I'm a 26/f and have been suffering from chronic yeast infections (sorry, gross). I went to a doctor and was STD free, so we really couldn't figure out what was causing it bc I was doing everything in a way that's meant to avoid a yeast infection.
But, I was at the dentist as well because my tongue seemed to be discolored (kind of yellow) and he told me it wasn't dental, it could be a bacteria and I should see a dr. The doctor couldn't really offer insight, but it's kind of coming together if it's a Candida-related issue. Yeast is obviously candida related, as can be bacteria on the tongue. I also read that probiotics can help eczema.
I started a 13 billion CFU/day probiotic regimen last week, to no avail, but we'll see if it helps.
Also, drinking enough water is probably a good simple remedy, too.
Also someone mentioned make sure your fingernails are clean. If you are going to scratch and break skin, it's probably better to not do it with dirty hands (or foreign objects i.e. hair brushes, or beer caps if you're me).
You hit the nail on the head.  In Florida the day the seasons change from summer to fall, almost to the minute my legs start to itch.  Then when spring hits summer the itching goes away.  Thank god for two things and I am not being religious here.  

One, in Florida although summer officially hits in June, it feels like summer March, so my legs stop itching.
Two, since I brush my dogs hair every day, I had to find a brush that would not hurt their skin since I usually brush stroke each dog about eight hundred times to get their hair to shine without hurting their skin from the amount of brushing.  That brush and I am not condoning scratching that itch, however, that brush has little hard plastic dimples on the end of each bristle and now in addition to brushing their hair with it I take it to bed with me and when I wake up in the morning I do not have any sores on my legs.

I can constantly scratch without even thinking or getting up out of a complete sleep with this brush and there is no damage to my skin let alone the type of damage I used to inflict on myself with my fingernails.   My thinking is if I am going to scratch then I do not want any other complications to breaking the skin.

What kind of sea salt did you use?
What brand of sea salt did you use??
Thank you....I've recently fallen off my gluten free diet and started this nasty itching.  I didn't have it while not eating it.  Your awesome!  Thanks again
I have noticed insatiable itching from waist down for a couple of years, mostly in upper portion of this area. My remedy was found by accident. I forgot to take my "Bone Care" supplement for a few days and noticed relief so I conducted a couple of follow-up test runs by taking supplements for several day, (condition returned), refrained from taking supplement for a few days, (condition not experienced). I have now been condition free for several weeks after having eliminated the supplement from my regimen. Blessings, timelylight