Dermatology Expert Forum
My shaving area on face
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My shaving area on face

Dr,

I have a problem with my face. Im a 38 yr old african american male and I have a bad problem with 5 o'clock shadow.  It started in my early 20's when i first shaved, my face broke out in razor bumps (because I switched from the electric shaver) and now I have a blackened area where I shaved (im light skinned). Since I shave every morning I don't have much of a prob with razor bumps, but what can I do to get rid of this darkened area? It always looks like I didn't shave and the dermatologists I go to give me cream that doesnt help. Allergists have told me to lay off the dairy products which I tried but to no avail. can you help?

thank you

T.M.  New jersey
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Tracy:

What you have sounds like postinflammatory pigment, or color left over after inflammation has gone away.  If the lightening creams you dermatologists gave you didn't help, look for stronger ones or combinations with Retin-A, as well as light chemical peels containing glycolic or trichloroacetic acid.  Dermatologists who work with esthetic issues are your best bet for obtaining these treatments.

It's slow, but it can be done.

Best.

Dr. R
4 Comments
Blank
Dr R,

Thank you very much for responding to my inquiry.  I will try what you said.  I found something on the internet...something called Hydroquinone USP. 4%  Skin bleaching Cream?  Do you recommend something like that?
Blank
I am an African American woman with excessive facial hair.  Initially I would shave, however this has caused ingrown hairs and dark spots were I would shave.  Is there anything I can do to stop the growth and remove the embarrasing dark spots?
Blank
Please post information on removing unwanted facial hair and how to clear dark spots left due to shaving.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker