Dermatology Expert Forum
Mysterious Appearing/Reappearing Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Mysterious Appearing/Reappearing Rash

I have a really strange rash, and I know the best thing to see is a doctor, but the problem the rash disappears before I can get to a doctor, which is what makes it so wierd.

Last year (November '04), I noticed these tiny red spots on the back of my hand. They are maybe a millimeter or so and a bright pink in color. I would notice them, and then maybe half an hour later, they would be gone. They are flat, and do not itch (or hurt or anything). I only notice them because I type a lot so I look down at my hands. On some days, they would appear a few times a day, or I could go several days without them. At one point, I spent some time in the sun, and they turned brown and stayed in my skin a little longer, like they tanned faster than the rest of my hand. Then they didn't appear for almost a year, so I forgot about it, but I'm doing some work right now, and noticed a few spots on the back of my finger and the inner side of my left wrist. That's probably the most information I can provide. I think at some point I drew where the spots were to see if they reappeared in the same places, but the spots are so small I couldn't really tell. I also tried to take a picture to show a doctor, but they don't really come out, they are kind of camera shy as well. The palm of my hand is splotchy red, but my hands are always really warm too (not clammy), so I don't know if that's related to anything. No malaise or anything associated with the rash. Now looking at my wrist, they are starting to disappear again, wierd.

Thanks for any hints you can provide.
I'm afraid that the only thing I can say is that this rash does not sound like anything I recognize.  The fact that it is so minor and that it comes and goes argues strongly against its being anything even mildly serious.  Unless it worsens or persists, in which case you should show it to a doctor when there is something to show, I advise you to forget about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Just wanted to mention that I'm experiencing something very similar.  Started up about 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Sounds like the same rash...becomes extremely bright at times and then fades.  Right now it's a little larger than the size of a half dollar.  Not rised or itchy, but very dry.  It has, at times, spread up the arm a bit.  Can't figure out for the life of me what is causing it.  Have tried not using strong soaps/lotions, etc., but doesn't seem to make a difference.  

Am wondering what part of the country you're in?  Maybe it has to do with change of season?  I went through this last year as well.  Unfort. last time it ended up spreading over every part of my body before it got better.

I tried taking Benedryl the other day when it was up my arms a bit and that helped.

However, really want to know what the heck it is so I can be done with it for good, if poss.
I have experienced a similar problem for roughly 2 and a half years now. I have red areas on the backs of my hands. They take up perhaps 30% of the area on my hands. They are not as spotty as Stoneyguy's rash sounds. They do come and go. I got a slight sunburn yesterday and they were the most affected areas on my skin and continue to be a deep pink or light red now while other areas have become considerably less pink. There often seems to be a faint but clearly visible border to the rash, though it changes each day. The rash has not ventured beyond my wrists. I believe I got this problem about 2 and a half years ago from poison ivy or poison oak. Parts of the rest of my body were affected, though the symptoms were more like the typical spider-bite-like swelling. Only the backs of my hands have a problem today. I did not apply the triamcinolone acetonide cream I was prescribed after the initial problem occurred frequently or very much at all. Recently I applied the cream every day and the rash disappeared. The problem has come back since I ran out of cream.