Dermatology Expert Forum
Mystery Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Mystery Rash

In April of 2005 I had some bumps on my legs that resembled a mosquito bite except there was a red dot in the center of each bump.  Dermatologist said it could be Schamberg's syndrome.  Itching was intense so he gave me a steroid cream.  Episode lasted ~1 week.  All was good until Nov. 19 spots came back again with intense itching.  Itching started around ankles then rash like symptoms soon spread to armpits, arms, back, chest, and legs.  This spreading process took place over a 2 week span with rash & itching coming and going in different spots (rash on other ares of body do not resemble the red dot mosquito bites that have appeared on my legs).  The rash (not necessarily the itching) has been constant in my armpits.  The itching subsides during the day and becomes much more intense around 8:00 pm.  Many nights sleeping has been difficult.  On Nov. 29 went to see another Dr.(MD) who specializes in natural remedies for his advice.  I'm a very health concious person who exercises 5x/week and eats healthy.  I recently altered my diet ~5-6 weeks ago eliminating white sugar and white flour from my diet.  This 2nd Dr. said I have some kind of allergic reaction and told me to not eat any of the following items for the next 2 weeks; wheat, soy, milk, eggs, sugar, and corn.  As you can imagine this is very difficult but I am doing it.  He also wants me to change all my soaps, detergents, etc. which I've also done (even though I've been using the same products for the last 10+ years).  Also I've never been allergic to anything in the past.  He did give me some natural antihistamine (D-hist) and MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane) which have seemed to relieve the symptoms except around 8:00 to midnight.  My  husband was not impressed with Dr.#2's shot gun approach and doesn't feel that an allergy should get worse in the evening and that giving up that many food categories is brutal (we both have a medical background I'm an Xray tech he's an OD).  He wants me to see an allergist to see if there is a food allergy or not.  We came across this web site and thought it would be wise to get a true expert's opinon.  Does this sound like an allergic rxn to you or some other form of dermatitis.  I've been without all of the above mentioned food for 3 days now and the intense evening itching continues even as I type this question.  Also heat seems to increase symptoms. After 2 1/2 weeks the rash is predominately located on my arms, legs, and armpits.  Location of the rash on my extremities seems to change from day to day if not hour by hour. I look forward to hearing any advice or suggestions you may have.  Thank you for your time.
This does not sound like an allergic reaction, either to food or to soaps and detergents.  The possibilities that occur to me include bites and hives.  However, your description doesn't fit any one diagnosis clearly, and the fact that your husband is not affected argues against bugs.

I'm not sure why you chose not to re-consult your dermatologist, at least to let him know of what has happened since he saw you.  Nevertheless, that is what I think you should do, right away.  meantime, apply an itch lotion like Benadryl cream as often as needed so you don;t confuse the picture by scratching.  This kind of rash needs to be seen in person.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Called dermatologist 1st and told him about the rash and said it could be hives.  His response was I don't see people with hives so his office did not schedeled a consult for me.  That is why I didn't see him for re-check.
He doesn't see people for hives?!  Then please find a dermatologist who doesn't exclude diagnoses!

Dr. Rockoff
I had a rash and experience similar to SSB.  After several dermatologist visits and a biopsy, I finally found out that it was caused by an inflammation of blood vessels.  It is aggravated by stress.  The only treatment that I've found that does anything for it is DMSO.  I apply it to the affected area for 2 to 3 days and it clears up.  It recurs, but normally goes away for some time.  I've also had hives and it is a totally different problem.
I've had a rash for about 6 months now.  It started on the back of my leg and my dr. thought it was a poison ivy/sumac rash.  Needless, to say in July a bunch of little bumps appeared on my arms and legs (itchy and burning type of bumps).  He then thought it was chicken pox but it turns out that it is also not that.  I still have them and I've gone to a dermatologist who biopsied them and tested for lupus.  He has since diagnosed me w/PMLE and has started me on UV light therapy.  Since therapy these rash type sores have progressed even further.  They are now perfectly round and seep at times.  I am not convinced that I have PMLE and want to go to another dr but at this point I am a little worried that I am going to be diagnosed with Idiopathic rash.

Any suggestions or idea of what this could be.  Some of them remind me of ring worm but not all of them.
Something similar,
I have "sores" ranging from about the size of this O to about three or four times that size. They are all over my stomach,on my hands and arms and on my legs and few on my butt. I went to the Dermetologist he treated me with Stromectol 3 MG. 5 pills taken at once and the other 5 taken in 7 days. I was also treated with Atarax 25 MG. 1 tab twice daily, and anti itch cream Triamcinolone .1%.  I have had this for a few months, Stupid me why go to a Dr. right away, Suffer a while right? I have a lot of problems CHF Blood flow less than 25% Severe sleep apnea, Diabetes, Hypertension, High Chloresterol I have had ver light flu like symptoms, Feeling sick after eating elevated core temperature but when Mom  feels me she says I do not feel hot I feel fatiqued. I get nightsweats. My skin is infected. Some of the sores are the size of a dime and actually inverted alot.I should also mention that I have been driven insane by this itch it is less in the day but when I lay down at night it hits hard. {And yes Stupid me has been scratching. I am currently taking Doryx 100 MG. 1 pill twice daily. It's sucks I don't know what to do.

HELP>>>>>>>>>Gary
A related discussion, bumps on legs that itch was started.