Dermatology Expert Forum
Nail dystrophy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Nail dystrophy

I was recently diagnosed as having some sort of nail dystrophy on my fingernails.  I was told the name of the condition but I cannot remember it and I was hoping you could help.  It began with a T and was called " T_________  dystrophy".  

Basically what is wrong with my nails now is that they have ridges that run vertically down the nail bed, and some have very prominent, bumpy knobs or ridges down the center of each nail.  I can file these down, but then the nail becomes very red, thin and painful.  My dermatologist showed me pictures from a nail textbook of the advanced stages of this disease, in which the cuticle grows all the way up the center of the nailbed, splitting the nail in two.  She told me that there was no treatment for this, and that if it got really advanced, surgery would be required to either remove the diseased part of the nail or to destroy the entire nail completely.  Can you provide any more information?  Thank you!