Nail fungus
I have a nail fungus that I've dealt with for nearly two years.  I have had my doctor prescribe cream, I also took Lamisil (spelling?)  I went to the dermatologist with my son yesterday, and he told me to file the side of my nail with the fungus all the way down, he said in order to get rid of the fungus that's in my nail, I have to get rid of that part of my nail.  Is this true?  I also think I have a fungus on one of my toenails.  I dropped something extremely heavy on my foot about two years ago, and lost the nail, it grew back fine.  But then about a year ago, my toe started hurting badly.  And now my toenail is starting to come off again.  I'm not sure that it's a fungus there, but have no idea why my toenail would start to come off again for no reason.  
I believe that the infected nail needs to be filed down so that the cream can reach the underlying skin or nailbed where the fungus lives.  I have a problem with some toenails as well though I don't believe mine's fungal but maybe psoriasis.
Thanks Paul!!  My sons dermatologist said that the infection is in the nail, and if you get rid of the nail, you get rid of the infection.  
The symptoms are suggestive of fungal infection of the nail. In onychomycosis(nail fungal infection) nail plate can have a thickened, yellow, or cloudy appearance. The nails can become rough and crumbly, or can separate from the nail bed. Topical and oral antifungals are needed which are available under prescription. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the nail and skin specimen done to confirm the diagnosis. Also nail fungal infection may take a bit longer to go away. So it is important to use the topical and oral anrifungals as and when prescribed by a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.