Neck, face, and arm rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Neck, face, and arm rash

Approximately 8-10 months ago a red "blotchy" area developed to the left of my chin. In the months since then, I developed  a rash on my forearms and upper arm. It then escalated to a red blotchy rash on my neck and some parts of my face. In addition to those areas, now I have redness and some swelling around both eyes. I have been to the dermatologist many times. At one point, she biopsied one of the spots on my arms and said it was contact dermatitis. I had a patch test done and was told I am allergic to thimerasol. However, no products I have in my home have that ingredient. I have tried the various steroid creams the dermatologist has prescribed, some work temporarily and others don't phase it. I should also mention the rash is itchy at times. The only thing that cleared it up was after a week treatment with prednisone. Of course, it immediatley returned after I had finished the meds. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Contact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating or allergy-causing substance (irritant or allergen). Reactions may vary in the same individual over time. A history of any type of allergies increases the risk for this condition.

Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, solvents, or other chemicals. The reaction usually resembles a burn.

There is a whole range of allergens out there that could trigger this off, in your case maybe something closely resembling the composition of thimerosal.Or it could be something else entirely, like some personal care product or the dye in some clothing etc.

Treatment is with Corticosteroids applied to the area to reduce the inflammation.But it always recurs in susceptible individuals.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000869