Neck Rash/Bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Neck Rash/Bumps

5305105?1264429964

For much of my high school life through college and finally through law school, I've had this red skin irritation all over the front of my neck. It almost looks like acne but my M.D. ruled that out along with ingrown hairs (after he put me on anti-biotic to treat the issue but it was ineffective) and now he referred me to a dermatologist.

Most of the time, I simply covered it up the best way that I could but now it's a source of embarrassment because now I'm expected to dress in a professional manner daily and the concealer that I use gets all over the collar of my shirts and jackets.  I have tried the 1% hyrdocortisone creme that they sell over the counter but that is of little use for this redness and bumps will not go away.  Also, I'm not sure if this matters but shaving (or letting my beard grow, for that matter) has little to no effect the redness and skin bumps (beyond that, I use every over-the-counter "deep pore" cleanser and sensitive skin shaving creme out there and, again, it has no effect.

I have included some photos of the affected area...any help or suggestions in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chris

From the symptoms it looks like pseudofolliculitis barbae. It is more commonly found in men who shave their faces. It is because of ingrowing of the shaved hair which may present as pimples. To prevent it water soften the beard first with a hot, wet washcloth for five minutes and then shave.  Other treatment options include shaving in a different direction, tweezing, exfoliating with facial scrubs, sponges, towels or creams containing acid and ibuprofen or other NSAIDs. Topical application of dilute glycolic acid and salicylic prepared solutions are also helpful. You can consult a dermatologist and discuss these treatment options with him.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.