Neck and collarbone rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Neck and collarbone rash

For about a month I have had a (sporadic) rash on my collarbone, neck and jawline. I never know when it is going to appear. I have ruled out food allergies (wine, chocolate, etc.) and reactions to laundry detergent and soap. The itch is unbelievably strong and no amount of scratching helps. The rash/itch is nowhere else on my body. Somedays it's not there at all and then it appears, out of nowhere with no reason. I am going crazy at this point trying to figure out just what it is. I am a female in my mid forties, relatively good health, married, kids, dog. (No it's not the dog). If anyone has had a similar problem, please let me know how you dealt with it. Thanks!!!!  
Did you ever figure out what was causing your rash.  I am having the exact same problem.. itchy rash on collarbone area and top/back of shoulders that comes and goes.

Thanks!
I have the same problem. I am 21, i don't know what could be causing it because it comes and goes.  From my jawline to my collarbones (they seem to itch the most) parts of shoulders and upper back.  My skin gets flaky on my neck.  I tried all sorts of anti itch creams.  Hot water makes it worse.  It's bad because I wear shirts for work that expose that area and it's all red and rash like.  I tried diaper cream, zinc, iron, different vitamins.  I don't know what it could be.  I use A&D ointment to keep it moisturized and a lot of lotion.  This is nuts I've had it for 2 years I don't know what it could be!
Wow. I have the exact same problem. My rash started on the back of my neck and shoulders. It started to spread onto my collar bone, so now it's only at the collar bone and the left side of my neck below my ear. Hot water irritates me and turns my skin dry and rough. It itches insanely and has been off and off for a few months now! I have no idea what caused it. I have done nothing to my lifestyle that would affect me. I read something about stress-induced eczema, but I don't know what to do about that. I thought I was relatively happy. It's only this itch that is driving me downhill!
I would like to know what you have found to cause the itch and rash problem.  I have had the same symptoms for several months now from my jawline to my collarbone and parts of my shoulders and upper back.  I've changed makeup, laundry soaps and body soaps. I have also used anti itch creams but nothing helps.  The itch is so bad it wakes me up during sleep time.  I would love a solution that would solve my problem, it's driving me crazy and cranky.
I have photosensitive skin and this sometimes happens to me as well, it's not usually to itchy for me but everyones diferent. I can feel a tingly burning feeling and is sometimes warm to touch. The sun rash isn't a sun burn because it doesn't peel or blister and doesn't take long for it to set in after being in the sun. So if your rash happens a bit after being in the sun even for a short period of time you might have photosensitivity. Especially if the rash is wear the sun hits your skin, also it can last a few days or even weeks depending on how bad. If this is the cause talk to a dermatologist about this because you might have very sensitive skin. For now, Try wearing high SPF sun screen and cover up wear the rash appears to see if this is the problem, good luck!
Also it could be a side affect to a medication if you are taking any. Just read the lable of the prescription, bottle, or even look online to see if it can cause such a rash. There are many different kinds of eczema also, eczema tends to come and go. There are triggers such as high stress, being very emotional, or tight clothing etc. if this is what you think it may be I would talk to a doctor of your thinking thats what it could be. This way they could give you cream to sooth the area.
There are many different kinds of eczema also, eczema tends to come and go. There are triggers such as high stress, being very emotional, or tight clothing etc. if this is what you think it may be I would talk to a doctor This they could give you cream to sooth the area.
Oh, and if your rash raised, patchy or scaly (looking like it may scar) rather than flat, smooth, and solid colored it could be a type of fungus. However fungus doesnt usually come and go, and not usually wide spread (more resembles hives) it is possible. Remember not to diagnose yourself because it can be worse than it appears to be. See a doctor if it's still there and let a professional examine you, hope this helped
After what seems years of the on and off of this rash, my new Dermatologist has come to the conclusion that I am EXTREMELY sensitive to my own sweat. When I sweat (she seems to believe) it is very concentrated and it crystallises on my neck, therefore causing this incredible itch. She gave me medicated Lidex cream. I must sleep in 100% cotton nightwear and try to never be overheated. I must admit this combination has really worked and I don't really experience that horrible itching anymore. It was so bad for so long that I have some scarring on my neck which I started using argon oil on and it seems to be smoothing them away. This has been such a long struggle I feel like I have been living in an episode of Mystery Diagnosis! Good luck to all of you. Keep changing doctors if you have to, some will take you seriously while others won't.
I am 59. I had intense itching on the sides of my face, neck and collarbones. I saw my dermatologist and she asked me if I was using any hormone replacement therapy. I was using vaginal suppositories. She informed me that she has had quite a few patients who have reacted this way, particularly in the collarbone area. I've been off the meds for one week and it's markedly better.