Dermatology Expert Forum
Need help fixing my skin..

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Need help fixing my skin..

Hello, over the past few years I have been desperately trying to repair my skin. The degradation of my skin has ruined my life in a lot of ways, and is something I really need to take care of.

Shortly after beginning university and moving out of the house I began getting moderate acne. I battled this for a year before going on accutane for four months. In retrospect, I believe what initially cause my acne was the shock of going from a stress free/ healthy diet, to going to a stressful life/ very unhealthy diet. I may have developed a gut issue or atleast thron off the balance of my body. After accutane, my skin was ok despite some leftover acne scarring. If my problems stopped here I would have been ok.

After taking accutane my skin continued to degrade, notably the texture, despite being acne free., look at the pictures I linked at the bottom (note that nothing in these pictures is acne - its been like that for over a year). It seems like blackheads from my nose continue into my face which creates a very bumpy surface, however I was  told me that those are not "technicaly" black heads? Basically the texture is bad all over for no apparent reason and my skin looks dull. I also developed bad dark blue circles around my eyes at the same time. :(

Some things I tried along the way which might have made matters worse are derma rolling, and light glycolic acid peels, both done at home. I also tried moisturising and countless creams without much success.

I am interested in your opinions of what is physically wrong with my skin, what could have caused it, and what I can do to fix it. Some theories I have: environmental irritants (dust/ pollen), accutane ruining my skins ability to create necessary oils /barrier, other health issue (gut?).

I am willing to do anything / work hard to resolve this.

http://postimg.org/image/zbpduwqbd/
http://postimg.org/image/99wnfgm37/

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the skin symptoms and have checked the photographs as well. From the symptoms it looks like whiteheads and clogged pores.

A whitehead is a type of acne that forms when dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria become trapped within one of your pores. It is different from blackhead that it forms under the surface of a closed pore. Accutane should not be blamed for these and hormonal changes, unhealthy diet or stress are considered the triggers for these whiteheads. In fact Accutane use has been reported to cause significant improvement in some cases although it is not very useful in all cases of whiteheads.

Whiteheads are generally considered a mild form of acne, since they are relatively easy to treat. Just keep you face clean by washing with a mild soap atleast twice a day. Pat it dry and do not rub it. Avoid picking or pressing the whiteheads or pores. Products containing salicylic acid work directly to break down existing whiteheads and those containing benzoyl peroxide help to reduce oil production in your pores. Wash your hair and skin on a regular basis with a mild shampoo, but take care to avoid excessive washing. Stripping your skin of oils causes rebound oil production and it actually raises your risk of harming the skin.

Other than that some open pores are also visible in the photographs. The problem of enlarged pores on face or facial pores is commonly associated with excessive oiliness and acne. The excessive oiliness of the skin is in turn triggered by the hormonal changes in the body.

Large pores can be easily dealt with proper cleansing and frequent toning and moisturizing of the skin. Other treatments to consider include microdermabrasion, skin resurfacing lasers and chemical skin peels but should always be done under medical supervision and after assessing the skin thoroughly.

Dark circles under the eyes can be hereditary and thus if it runs in the family, very little can be done. But majority are induced by stress and lack of sleep. In your case, stress about the existing skin condition may be worsening the dark circles. Apply cool tea bags, an ice cube wrapped in soft cloth, or cucumber slices to your eyes daily. Apply an eye cream containing vitamin K and retinol. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, take vitamins, and drink plenty of water. Avoid smoking or alcohol intake, excessive coffee consumption and have an eight hour sleep.

The skin condition should improve with the above mentioned measures.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.