Dermatology Community
Nodular Melanoma
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nodular Melanoma

My dermatologist diagnosed me with scalp folliculitis on July 2nd.   He prescribed clindamycin gel and to also  shampoo with T-gel or tee tree oil.  On July 5th the folliculitis got worse and I developed these bumps in the area of the folliculitis along with pain and intense itching.  I was using tea tree oil at that time but wasn't using the antibiotic yet.  The folliculitis was spreading.  I began using the clindamycin on July 9th and the T-Gel on July 18th.  The folliculitis began to settle down and improve.  Some of the bumps began to decrease in size as there were about 9 of them.  My wife checked my scalp everyday and said there was a definite improvement especially with the bumps.

I had a follow up appointment of July 25th.  I showed the doctor 4 bumps on the scalp.  I had stage 1 melanoma on my right arm 11 years ago.  When the doctor saw the bumps he said they must be tested immediately for melanoma.  I asked him if these bumps could be from the folliculitis because they are in the center of it.  He said no.  I told him I had many others but they decreased in size or disappeared.  He said they are not from folliculitis that they happened to appear at the same time.

I am a 59 year old male with two small children.  I am aware that nodular melanoma can kill me and now I am convincing myself it is what I have.  I won't know the results until August 8th.  The doctor will not call me if he knows before then.  He insisted I come to the office to hear the results.

My question is could this be something other than nodular melanoma?  My doctor did mention they could be moles that got inflamed.  I told him I never had moles in that spot before.  I am bald on top and I just had a full body check in June.  I am very worried.  Thank you.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
While in all possibility
this would turn out to be infected Seborrheic keratosis, your doc was right in getting them biopsied since you have a past history.
Mark my words, you should come out clear.
Cheers.
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
And flat seborrheic keratosis might have been missed by you earlier.
Blank
Thank you for your positive remarks.  I'm still waiting for the results which I won't know until August 8th.  The dermatologist also did blood work.  LDH was normal.  

My stress levels are currently very high.  I wish the dermatologist would tell me the results but his policy is to make a two week appointment to go over the report.
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
With my best wishes and awaiting for a positive reply for you.
Blank
Saw the derm today and you were exactly correct.  They were seborrheic keratosis that were inflamed.
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
That is good news.
Cheers!
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
Happy to know from your input that it turned out to be infected seborrheic keratosis only.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...