Non-Steroid Treatments for Eczema

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Non-Steroid Treatments for Eczema

I have skin allergies to pet dander.  I have one cat and can usually keep my eczema under control by keeping my skin clean and moisturized (problem areas are hands, neck, and sometimes inside elbows), using Clobex for a bad outbreak.  I recently started volunteering in the office at an animal shelter, thinking since I would not have direct contact with the animals that I would be OK.  However, the cats pretty much have the run of the facility, and I have had an extreme outbreak on my neck.  Very red, itchy and weepy, also burning and stinging.  I thought it might be due to the cat dander in the air.  I really want to help out at the shelter, and I don't want to use steroids on an ongoing basis.  If you could provide some help I would really appreciate it (and so would the shelter!!)  Thanks!
Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide). Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.