Non-itchy Bumps on Face & Neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Non-itchy Bumps on Face & Neck

I have had this problem for years, with no known reason why/how it began.  What happens is I'll first feel a bump or two on my face or neck.  They're under-the-skin, non-itchy, painless, skin-colored bumps that swell when I touch (or, guilty, pick!) them and also begin to spread to a cluster.  I don't think they're pimples - from what I know, cysts are painful and movable, which these are neither of.  They also never come to the surface and I don't think they're puss filled.  If I stop touching them, they'll de-swell after awhile, but small bumps will remain for a day or two.

A bit of a background, I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms and I know that it can occur on the face as well, but these are not the same kind of bumps whatsoever.  Other than that, I have pretty normal skin, with the occasion pimple showing up but never severe acne of any sort. I also don't think it's an allergy of any sort, since it has been happening for several years and I've changed face products and whatnot over that time.  The only medication I'm on is birth control, but again, they started before I went on it.

I've tried searching for an answer online, but haven't had any luck yet.  Though I'm sure they're not harmful, they are annoying and unattractive when they swell up, so I'm hoping someone will have an idea as to what's wrong!

Thanks!!
From the symptoms they look like folliculitis or sebaceous cysts. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. It is very commonly found on the face and forehead.

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was under the impression though that sebaceous cysts didn't go away on their own and instead had to be surgically removed?  These bumps also fluctuate in size - they appear small, swell when touched, and return to being small again when not aggravated.  Eventually, after several days, they just go away on their own.  They could be a form of pimple, but I've never seen or heard of anyone else experiencing acne such as this.
If the bumps are irritated hair follicles then they go away on their own. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).
If they are sebaceous cysts, then they do not go away on their own. No treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.